Remember me
Lost Password Register

Diver one of sixteen to die using high-tech gear
02-27-2003, 04:36 PM,
Re:Diver one of sixteen to die using high-tech gear
Okay, here are the ground rules. We are going 12 rounds, bout is ended by knockout or decision, let's keep it above the belt....

I don't have the sense that people's personal honesty or integrity are being questioned here. Let's not let this discussion go there. Keep it focused on the gear and the associated dive techniques. You have an audience of divers here that are open minded and want to hear both the pros and cons of the various issues.

I know people that buy motorcycles. They probably are exposed to more risk than the average driver. I don't fault them for that decision. I just hope they have the training and experience to handle the bike. I like the fact that they have the freedom to choose.

At the same time I think people should be able to buy CCRs. Trying to compare the safety record or techniques with standard OC seems to be somewhat of an apples/oranges comparison. Yes you are underwater and could be breathing similar gases, but the gear and techniques are different. I sense that people buying CCRs go into it with the understanding that there is a different set of requirements than standard scuba diving.

Maybe diving doubles with the standard "H2" configuration is safer. But risk is something that is always balanced with rewards -- otherwise none of us would leave dry land.

What many of us uneducated, non-CCR owners want to know is: a) are there increased risks diving a CCR versus typical rec scuba, b) what techniques do you use to manage this risk?, and c) are these risks openly discussed in the CCR community and with the manufacturers?

I love technology. I live in this world every day. I can see this type of technology becoming more the norm in the future. Is it 99.999% ready today? I don't think so. But if you can't live with that, don't do it.

--Jason

Messages In This Thread
Diver one of sixteen to die using high-tech gear - by DRE - 02-19-2003, 09:45 PM
Re:Diver one of sixteen to die using high-tech gear - by chrisw - 02-20-2003, 11:07 AM
Re:Diver one of sixteen to die using high-tech gear - by Groovekitty - 02-27-2003, 01:53 PM
Re:Diver one of sixteen to die using high-tech gear - by jasondbaker - 02-27-2003, 04:36 PM
Re:Diver one of sixteen to die using high-tech gear - by JNitrox - 02-28-2003, 01:57 PM
Re:Diver one of sixteen to die using high-tech gear - by JNitrox - 03-01-2003, 10:58 AM
Re:Diver one of sixteen to die using high-tech gear - by Groovekitty - 03-03-2003, 12:02 PM
Re:Diver one of sixteen to die using high-tech gear - by Groovekitty - 03-03-2003, 12:22 PM
Re:Diver one of sixteen to die using high-tech gear - by Groovekitty - 03-03-2003, 02:12 PM