Remember me
Lost Password Register

Rebreather Purchase question
04-23-2004, 08:51 AM,
Re:Rebreather Purchase question
Chuck,
One of the justifications for the modifications is it the size and weight factor versus the big heavy units commercially available like the "turtle". It's what keeps me out of a that CCR - the inspiration is simply too big, too heavy to me. It completely has it's justified place in many areas, just not in my dive locker. I want more steamling, less weight, and given the restrictions that keep increasing for dive travel, the Inspiration is becoming less and less viable as technology improves.

A modified Dolphin can help bridge the gap, but it's a long way from perfect. Drager's lawyers don't want to seem to let diver's know it's full capability, but these more compact CCRs or modified SCR's are the demand. If Drager doesnt want it's product being modified, they need to release units with what they already know is possible and come out with one commercially available for $4 to $5K.

Chuck, why isn't the Prism Topaz marketed in this area, simply CE stamping? This is a sound unit, built with a great deal of forethought, more than the Megladon in my opinion. I'm sure it has a lot ot do with $$$$$$, but I don't see it being any higher than Buddy's. I see it as a clear rival to the Inspiration, and superior in some ways, especially for those not needing as much scubber life and size.

With 6000+ YBOD units sold, Buddy was handed a lot of R & D money to develop the Evloution, and it seems to be a nice unit as well, but there seems to be less support for it from those who are in the Buddy camp? Is that based upon it's price tag? If Buddy would price the Evo for a more attractive price, these chop shops wouldnt even bother with modifying the Dolphins or KISS.

Messages In This Thread
Rebreather Purchase question - by shamre - 04-19-2004, 12:12 PM
Re:Rebreather Purchase question - by ghosch - 04-19-2004, 02:51 PM
Re:Rebreather Purchase question - by igotoofar - 04-20-2004, 01:45 PM
Re:Rebreather Purchase question - by shamre - 04-21-2004, 12:11 PM
Re:Rebreather Purchase question - by ghosch - 04-22-2004, 06:59 AM
Re:Rebreather Purchase question - by Freedive WI - 04-22-2004, 10:12 AM
Re:Rebreather Purchase question - by Freedive WI - 04-22-2004, 12:04 PM
Re:Rebreather Purchase question - by ccuda - 04-23-2004, 08:51 AM
Re:Rebreather Purchase question - by ccuda - 04-23-2004, 09:01 AM
Re:Rebreather Purchase question - by ccuda - 04-23-2004, 09:32 AM