Remember me
Lost Password Register

Flying with Inspiration
10-08-2004, 05:03 PM,
Re:Flying with Inspiration
John,

When I have flown with the RB's I ship the units in the supplied case. I will wait until after the final security check and ask if I can ziptie (or duct tape) the box shut. I also leave some zipties (or duct tape) on the inside of the box with a note requesting that if further examination is done that it be returned to pre-exam condition. Wink

I also like to include a page describing the contents and their use accompanied by pictures of the unit "in action" this helps "defuse" the notion that all those hoses and wires are a bomb. (never say the word bomb at the airport) :-X

Depending on where you are going, and for how long, the bottles issue varies. If you can rent them there that would be ideal (a rare, but growing possibility) if you are going for an extended period to a remote location you may consider shipping the bottles and chemical ahead of time (sometimes this is cheaper with the new luggage weight limits :Smile)

If you have to fly with the cylinders drain them and remove the valves. Pick up some of the plastic tank inserts to prevent contamination and seal the valves in ziplock bags. Rules specify cylinders must be empty and the only way to easily prove they are empty is to remove the valve. :-\

TSA changed their rules making it acceptable to carry cylinders ONLY on your carry-on bags. In my experience no screener is going to let you on the plane carrying a heavy metal object. :o

I would suggest putting them in your checked bags, carrying a copy of TSA rules, and put them in your carry-on as a last resort.

My .02 but minor hassles aside I have had good luck traveling with RB's.

CN3

Don't believe the hype!

Messages In This Thread
Flying with Inspiration - by john j - 10-08-2004, 04:03 PM
Re:Flying with Inspiration - by Chuck_Northrup - 10-08-2004, 05:03 PM
Re:Flying with Inspiration - by ghosch - 10-11-2004, 07:15 AM
Re:Flying with Inspiration - by Mark Y - 10-11-2004, 08:36 AM
Re:Flying with Inspiration - by ccuda - 10-11-2004, 09:27 AM
Re:Flying with Inspiration - by john j - 10-11-2004, 04:39 PM
Re:Flying with Inspiration - by ghosch - 10-12-2004, 07:13 AM
Re:Flying with Inspiration - by john j - 10-12-2004, 10:44 AM
Re:Flying with Inspiration - by Mark Y - 10-12-2004, 11:51 AM