Remember me
Lost Password Register

Cozumel Hurricane Update/Relief Effort
10-22-2005, 12:58 PM,
Cozumel Hurricane Update/Relief Effort
Cozumel is being blasted by a direct hit from Wilma, one of the worst hurricanes ever, and sustaining significant damage.  Following is a translated statement from the governor of Quitana Roo:

"The first point of impact in Quintana Roo and for that matter Mexico was the Island Of Cozumel located off the coast of Quintana Roo near the resort destination of Playa Del Carmen. "Wilma" came across Cozumel as a Category 4 Hurricane causing massive devestation according to preliminary information I am receiving"

"The Civil Protection from Quintana Roo is reporting that the winds took down and caused severe damage to houses and businesses including those that had protection and re-inforcement against Hurricanes."

Additionally, signs, posts, electrical poles were blown away and some vehicles were overturned and swept away.

The Principal streets and avenues are flooded with waters of 4 to 5 feet and there are dozens of boats with damage. There was also a surge that washed almost a mile of highway into the ocean on the "backend of the Island"

"As of right now officials in Cozumel have not reported any serious injuries nor deaths."

Many of us have had the pleasure of diving in Cozumel, one of the world's premier dive sites.  Many of us also have friends there, and we each have our favorite dive operations, restaurants, etc.

The loss of property, infrastructure and boats may be significant - much worse than from any previous hurricanes, based on the statement above.

May I propose pulling together a relief effort to help get the Cozumel back on its feet. Perhaps local dive shops could provide the key contact points for fundraising for the Cozumel Red Cross and for possible other aid needs to be identified when contact is re-established.

Any of your ideas on how best to organize help (money, supplies, on-site help, etc.) would be appreciated.

Note that as of the last communications out of Coz, some dive operators had taken many divers into their own homes for protection.  Pretty remarkable.

(Note: As moderator of this forum, I thought this post appropriate.  MnScuba moderators - if you feel it innapropriate please feel free to remove.  Thank you.)
Dan L

Messages In This Thread
Cozumel Hurricane Update/Relief Effort - by DanL - 10-22-2005, 12:58 PM