Remember me
Lost Password Register

some one selling old ship wreck stuff on craigs list
07-07-2009, 06:01 PM,
Re: some one selling old ship wreck stuff on craigs list

Please elaborate
[/quote]

I'm sure that some people would argue that the items should belong in a museum and donated rather than sold.  Some others would argue that they are personal belongings legally collected and they can be sold at will.  Details on the artifacts could open ethical arguments.  Are they historically significant?  Are they personal effects of sailors that may still have surviving family?  I'm sure there is a wide range of opinion based on what people feel is ethical based on those unknown details.
[/quote]

I was told that anything that has been in the water more than thirty days becomes property of the state, and it would be considered theft if taken out without writen approval from the state.  I don't know how this would play out with it coming from Superior, maybe if would become Federal property.

Please somebody chime in if they have anymore specific info on this.  This is what I have been told, and an example would be the wreck of the Minnehaha that was recovered from Lake Minnetonka.  The State came in and claimed posession of it after it was removed from the water by a private salvage company.

Messages In This Thread
Re: some one selling old ship wreck stuff on craigs list - by scubafreek864 - 07-07-2009, 06:01 PM