Remember me
Lost Password Register

some one selling old ship wreck stuff on craigs list
07-08-2009, 09:27 PM,
Re: some one selling old ship wreck stuff on craigs list
Spread the dive wealth around, right? ... FORTUNE favors the brave!
[/quote]

I don't really think any of this is about wealth or fortune.  We're not talking about gold doubloons here.  We're talking about artifacts (portholes and stuff) from a cultural, archeological site that represents an interesting piece of history.  How can anyone enjoy or study that history if it's carried away a piece at a time?  And in my mind, outside the context of a ship, an artifact from a shipwreck isn't much more than a rusty piece of junk.  It looks a lot cooler attached to the ship it came from and underwater.  Add to that the fact that a lot of shipwreck sites are also associated with loss of life and the ethics get murkier yet.  To each his own I guess, it's a touchy subject.

On a related note - I noticed the land is for sale along Hwy. 61 that has the Madiera's anchor on display.  It used to be a gift shop and burned down like 10-15 years ago, all that's left is the parking lot, some kinda observation platform and the anchor.  Kinda made me wonder what will happen to the anchor when someone buys the land.

Messages In This Thread
Re: some one selling old ship wreck stuff on craigs list - by karnov - 07-08-2009, 09:27 PM