Remember me
Lost Password Register

doubles setup?
04-12-2012, 06:47 PM,
Re: doubles setup?
I guess that depends on what your goals are down the road. If you are considering technical diving, doubles are a reasonable next step, but I think 130s or 104s are really the gold standard in doubles.   If you are in FL they fill them the same ;D

I haven't used a single tank in years, and at one time had six sets of doubles.  LP50s, LP80s, LP95s and two sets of 130s.  I bought a rebreather and now only have the 80s and 50s.  Of all the doubles I had, the 95s were my least favorite.  I'm 6'2"ish and for me, this was mostly because they are short, and were difficult for me to get into as well as sit down with.  One thing to consider is what are your buddies diving and where you are getting them filled.  If the people you dive with are diving dissimilar tanks, there isn't likely going to be an advantage for you in doubles.  Many shops will charge you for two fills if you bring in doubles.   If you are lucky enough to have a shop that charges by the cubic foot, it really doesn't matter.   If you have your own compressor, it doesn't matter either.   As much as I hated the weight, a small part of me wishes I'd have kept one set of 130s and the 50s.  The 50s are my favorite OC tanks and they are awesome for scooter dives and just plain messing around.   If I needed one do all set of doubles, I'd reluctantly pick the 130s.  They are crazy heavy, but trim pretty nice and give you gobs of gas.   I have my own Trimix fill station with a Haskel and Compressor so I don't have to wonder what I'll get charged or what pressure they'll get filled to.

All that said, I like my KISS Classic too, and double AL19s on it last a long dang time.   The rebreather isn't the right tool for every dive, but neither are the doubles.

My $0.02

Messages In This Thread
doubles setup? - by Gravybird - 04-12-2012, 04:32 PM
Re: doubles setup? - by Hydro - 04-12-2012, 06:45 PM
Re: doubles setup? - by Chris H - 04-12-2012, 06:47 PM
Re: doubles setup? - by Mr.Pitbull - 04-13-2012, 09:22 AM
Re: doubles setup? - by racer17m - 04-13-2012, 03:08 PM
Re: doubles setup? - by Gravybird - 04-13-2012, 10:55 PM
Re: doubles setup? - by ScubaAl - 04-14-2012, 05:48 AM