Remember me
Lost Password Register

file storage pictures/Video
04-16-2012, 12:43 PM,
file storage pictures/Video
recently I suffered another Hard disk Failure. I learned from previous crashes, to back up on CD's/DVD's.. and since they also fail i try to burn two copies and store in two places.unfortunately I stock pile enough files, to make burning disks worth it, and then burn several. the data crash affected afew good files. when i went to check my CD/DVD back up, i found that several of my DVD's have errors in the burned coppies. this wasn't the case originally as i checked them fresh after burning.

in the old days of wet process silver halide film, the negs were stable almost indefinitely. now i hear that unless you specifically purchase archival Cd's that the storage life isn't that long. the ink layer in the CD has less than 10years. archival is longer but not as stable as old silver halide film storage.

flash memory also has problems.

I have a friend that has alot of data backed up in an array of hard disks that self correct for errors. it stores two(i think) copies of data in two separate places, it also encodes the data so that small errors in data reading can be automatically corrected using a mathematical formula that autocorrects random errors in data. I'm thinking perhaps this might be better method for long term storage, assuming i dint get a lightning strike/static electric damage(which i have also suffered afew).

i kinda rate my life in the quality of the pictures i take. so im pissed to lose these files.

any thoughts?
&quot;Dont make me choose.....you wont win..&quot; wise words to the wife.<br />&quot;is it more important to protect the innocent, or Punish the guilty,That is, after all, why we punish the guilty&quot;

Messages In This Thread
file storage pictures/Video - by popolarbear - 04-16-2012, 12:43 PM
Re: file storage pictures/Video - by Hydro - 04-16-2012, 01:22 PM
Re: file storage pictures/Video - by nlintgen - 04-16-2012, 01:54 PM
Re: file storage pictures/Video - by jasondbaker - 04-16-2012, 09:27 PM
Re: file storage pictures/Video - by nlintgen - 04-16-2012, 09:55 PM
Re: file storage pictures/Video - by Qix - 04-17-2012, 04:45 PM
Re: file storage pictures/Video - by jasondbaker - 04-18-2012, 01:18 PM
Re: file storage pictures/Video - by Qix - 04-22-2012, 11:52 AM
Re: file storage pictures/Video - by popolarbear - 04-26-2012, 07:37 AM
Re: file storage pictures/Video - by popolarbear - 05-07-2012, 07:51 AM