Remember me
Lost Password Register

Lake Minnetonka Dive Spots coordinates?
09-19-2012, 10:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-19-2012, 10:56 AM by DetectorGuy.)
Re: Lake Minnetonka Dive Spots coordinates?

I've only done 3 dives in Minnetonka, so I am hardly an experienced Tonka diver... but being I already hijacked your thread... If a person was looking for information about where to dive on Minnetonka I would say the State Histerical Society (or one of thier minions) would be a good place to start. After all our tax dollars have already been spent on doing extensive surveys of the lake. The reports that resulted from those surveys are full of information about what used to be on top of the water there and some grainy side images of what is on the bottom. Of course the reports don't give precise locations of these "annomilies" but in the description for each they give a really rough location (what bay) and sometimes a clue of the depth. Once even more grant money is given to the report writers, they will actually drop down and confirm what is there. I don't know if there ever will be a time when one of their reports will spell out a coordinate to these "annomilies".

If you read between the lines (litterally) from watching the news articles they have done with the different TV stations, you can pause the video when the news camera is showing the screen of their fish finder. On the left side of the screen is the coordinates of their boat at that point in time. It also gives you a heading of their boat at that same point in time. Using these two pieces of info combined with the targets shown as push-pins on the right side of the screen, you can interpolate rough coordinates to any of the annomilies shown on their screen. I am not saying that anyone should do this, because these items laying on the bottom belong to the state of Minnesota and I am pretty sure its illegal just to look at them >Big Grin.

So attached are links to the 2 Minnetonka reports that we as tax payers have already spent $6,999 on for each report. There are several other reports available on their web page for other bodies of water like Waconia and White bear. These are almost free to view... when you take into account that we have paid $6999 for each one. Here are links to some of the news stories that have screen shots of some of the "annomilies" that any unethical recreational diver could use to narrow in on some of the "gaps" in the official reports:

(click the PDF link on the left side to open the report)

Hope that helps somewhat as I am a caring and sharing individual >Big Grin

Messages In This Thread
Re: Lake Minnetonka Dive Spots coordinates? - by DetectorGuy - 09-19-2012, 10:44 AM