Remember me
Lost Password Register

New member question square lake or not
09-10-2013, 08:42 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-10-2013, 08:44 PM by Terry.)
RE: New member question square lake or not
Hey Coheed, (I think we'll dub you conehead, no offense intended my friend, just not sure from your profile, and its lack of information about you, exactly what you are,,,, male, female, 24 or 64 yo, in shape, out of shape, I'll guess,,, no boat, probably wetsuit, but the last dive of the year (here in MN anyway) isn't until late December. OK, now that we're done messing with you, on to the important stuff.
If you've dove Millacs and Wazee, your already beyond anything that Square has to offer, other then platforms tied with ropes to guide a blind diver from site to site, to see the same reason that 90% of the divers that get certified today, are not consistantly diving, a year from now.
There's good info from all the previous posters and you can trust them to know what their typing about, except,,, that you CAN hit two cars, in Section 6 mine at the tail end of the Cayuna Range (on a single dive) a 4 door Renault in 50' and a 78 Monte Carle in 12', sorry John, its been too long and I couldn't resist Wink
If I had to go out on a limb about lake diving in the midwest,,,, I'd say there are probably more "divable" lakes (better vis.) in Sconnie then there are in MN, even with fewer lakes, I think due to more sand and gravel bottom there and more black dirt, clay bottom here.
If you've drove to Millacs from Roch., in the summer, SKIP Millacs,,,, go to Crooked Lake, Serpent Lake, the mines in Crosby. Do Millacs thru the ice.
In the cities, do Minnetonka, or Medicine (with a boat) or from shore, do Harriet, or Calhoun, or Perch (free of gas powered boats) or Elmo (deepest lake in the 7 county metro area) but as two guppies NEVER venture deeper then you and your buddy have been together/separate, without someone one who has much more diving time at depth guiding you.
Your area, southern MN, doesn't have its fair share of the 10,000, so you'll need to plan to travel north most of the time.
Now, on to Superior, this is the time of year, warmest/calmest water, LOTS of shore dives, the State is by far the largest land owner on the No. Shore, the Madiera, and Hesper can both be done from shore in calm weather, but in a wetsuit its going to get pretty cool, keep that in mind. But (for true adventure) if Superior skunks you due to wind and waves, head inland from the north shore and dive lakes that don't typically see divers. Otherwise come jump thru the ice with us, and realize that the season in MN NEVER ends. TRINITY
Open season on the open seas,,,,We ani't stealing were just taking back,,,,call it pilage or call it plunder, were taken back from the boys down under,,,,,,,Jimmy Buffet         952-201-3029  (cell)

Messages In This Thread
RE: New member question square lake or not - by Terry - 09-10-2013, 08:42 PM