Remember me
Lost Password Register

Tettegouche/Cave of the Winds
09-24-2015, 08:13 PM,
Tettegouche/Cave of the Winds
Can anyone explain in detail where the entry point is for "Cave of the Winds"?
Also, is there any other cool diving in or around Tettegouche State Park?
09-25-2015, 01:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-25-2015, 01:24 PM by DetectorGuy.)
RE: Tettegouche/Cave of the Winds

I did a dive at Cave of the Winds a couple years ago and the coordinates to the mouth of the cave are: N47 20.847' W91 11.039'. The parking for it is just north of Ilgen City (which is not a city any more). Where "1" tees off from 61, go 800' north past the intersection and the guardrail on the lake side stops. Pull over on the shoulder just North of the guardrail and walk down the steep rocky path due south about 430' and the path turns toward the lake. The lake shore is 200' from there. Look to your left and you will see the south opening in the cave. It is a swimthrough with air above the water all the way through. There is also an old dock crib underwater straight out from the 200' path that is worth checking out. I think it is straight out from an old concrete foundation in the woods just south of the path. Big timbers and 24" long square steel pins around it. I will have to go home and check out the dive books, but I think Shovel Point is near Tettagouche and there is supposed to be a whole ships worth of shovels scattered around the point.
09-25-2015, 01:40 PM,
Thanks a lot for the precise details!!
09-25-2015, 02:20 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-25-2015, 02:34 PM by DetectorGuy.)
No problem, Shovel Point is 1/2 mile south of Cave of the Winds but it is a boat dive for sure (good sized cliff). Baptism River is one mile South of Cave of the Winds and I know a bunch of kids slide through the pot hole rapids there. I thought it would be fun to dive the lowest pot hole in the river before it dumps into the lake and collect up all the watches and GoPros that they might have lost there. One mile South of there is Palisade Head and there is supposed to be a sea cave there but again that is really, really a boat dive because the clif is about 120' tall.
Have fun and keep us posted.