Remember me
Lost Password Register

St. Cloud Quarry Park
03-28-2002, 04:18 PM,
St. Cloud Quarry Park
Has anybody dived in St. Cloud's Quarry Park?<br><br>Derrick
03-28-2002, 04:28 PM,
Re: St. Cloud Quarry Park
Here's some info on it:<br>http://www.co.stearns.mn.us/departments/parks/quarrypark/quarries.htm<br><br>Looks like an interesting place to dive, I guess one of the quarry's has a sunken van.
03-29-2002, 05:47 AM,
I used to go up there with friends in college days, really awesome place. Tons of quarries, some as green and nasty as pea soup, others so clear that you could see 30-40ft down from the surface. <br><br>I've never dove there, yet. They had lots of people partying there for years and years, so I'm sure there's a lot to see in some of the quarries, I know of at least one car that went in. But the parties also resulted in people getting hurt and a couple of fatalitites, so now there are really tight controls on use of the area. <br><br>You need permits to dive there, and the administrative office is not easy to deal with. I tried a couple of years ago and I hope they've changed...they tried to make you jump through so much red-tape, they really didn't seem like they wanted divers there, even if you were responsible.<br><br>Now, I hope things have changed. The only quarry i know of there that they allow for diving is quite a hike back into the area. (All of the quarries were that way to begn with). But you can't bring vehicles back there. So to haul tanks and equip. would be a big ordeal for some. I suggest wheelbarrows, etc. <br><br>And check into the depth, they may have changed quarries, the last one was shallow (to avoid liability). <br><br>I was hoping they would open that area up more. Anyone know any more about it, actual experience diving there?<br><br>It's like that movie, "breaking away", wouldn't that be a cool place to dive!<br><br>
03-29-2002, 06:37 AM,
I sent them an e-mail and I'll post the response here when/if I get it.
03-29-2002, 01:28 PM,
I was up in St. Cloud visiting my parents and stopped into one of the shops.  The store said that the quarries are open only to instruction from the stores up there.  Sounded like diving the quarries was not an option for most divers.<br><br>JoelW
03-29-2002, 02:29 PM,
Bummer >Sad
03-29-2002, 07:43 PM,
<br>I don't get it.  Isn't this public park land? Why would a business be able to use this resource but not private individuals?  
--Jason
03-30-2002, 04:30 AM,
Re: What's the deal?
I was wondering the same thing... what could happen if we just showed up and dove it?
03-30-2002, 09:43 AM,
Don't ask me, I am just repeating what I heard.  I would assume that it is a safety issue.  There are lakes in the cities that do not allow scuba, ones in Bloomington and Apple Valley come to mind.  They are public property as well.  Some public land doesn't allow firepits.  Who are they to restrict my pyro tendancies.<br><br>If you want to know for sure call Public Safety in St. Cloud.  They can probably tell you what the fine is as well if what I was told was true.<br><br>JoelW
04-04-2002, 04:41 AM,
Well, here's the answer we've been waiting for.
Anyone have this covered?<br><br>Chris,<br><br>George Rindelaub asked that I respond to you for him regarding scuba diving at the park.<br><br>The policy is to allow diving if the following insurance requirements can be satisfied:<br>      1)  provide liability coverage of $300,000 per person and $1 million per event;<br>      2)  Stearns County must be named an ADDITIONAL INSURED in the policy;<br>      3)  The County must receive a Certificate of Insurance verifying the above; and<br>      4)  The group must sign a Hold Harmless/Indemnification Agreement for the activity.<br><br>Because of the above requirements only Instructional Dive organizations have used the facility.  Individual divers don't seem to be able to obtain the coverage.  Home owners policies don't meet the above muster.