Remember me
Lost Password Register

Nitrous Oxide & Diving
09-15-2003, 01:25 PM,
Nitrous Oxide & Diving
Does anyone know if it is OK to dive after going to the dentist and getting nitrous oxide (N2O). I have read you shouldn't dive before going to the dentist and getting nitrous oxide...

(I know.... I hope to take the nitrox class soon) Wink
-Thanks
09-15-2003, 03:25 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-15-2003, 03:29 PM by Inspirationdiver.)
Re:Nitrous Oxide & Diving
The first thing you will be taught in the class is the difference between nitrox(02/N2) and nitrous oxide(N2O). These are very different gases and really have little in common.
09-16-2003, 06:56 AM,
I understand the difference beteen nitrox and nitrous oxide but I found on the web that you shouldn't get nitrous oxide after diving within 24 hours.

I also realize you can not believe everything you read on the internet :o but I found it strange no one has asked the question before (on ).

I had some teeth work done last friday and wanted to go diving after, but I played it safe and cleaned the house instead... Smile

09-17-2003, 06:49 AM,
The way I read this, it seems that the issue is not that the nitrous oxide will cause decompression sickness, but that giving it to someone who potentially has DCS could only further complicate things. I've heard of cases where patients have been turned away by doctors even for regular checkups if they have been diving within the last 24 hrs. It is probably insurance related. I do however think that diving after receiving N2O would be a problem also. Any residual N2O left in the body would have increased effects under higher partial pressures.