Remember me
Lost Password Register

DAN 2002 Diver Injury & Fatalities Report
09-16-2003, 10:34 PM,
DAN 2002 Diver Injury & Fatalities Report

This is a worthwhile read:

--Jason
09-19-2003, 10:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-19-2003, 10:31 AM by john j.)
Re:DAN 2002 Diver Injury & Fatalities Report
Not too many rebreather deaths listed-just one. I glanced only quickly through the report and may have missed something, but only saw one death described where the diver was using a home-made rebreather and diving solo. Could it be that rebreathers aren't the certain-death traps that some people would like us to believe? More specifically, if the Inspiration was such a dangerous unit, I would have expected to see at least one Inspiration CCR death in this report.
__________________________________________<br />There are very few problems that cannot be solved through the generous application of high explosives.
09-19-2003, 10:58 AM,
As the saying goes, lies, damn lies and statistics. DAN can only report on what they receive. One of the more active proponents of the Inspiration on the net lists two fatalities last year on his website.

Look under the "You'll Die" Fact or Fiction section. One of the deaths was in the States. It does not say where the other was. Also, when did the guy in Seattle die? Was it early this year or late last year?

JoelW

09-19-2003, 12:25 PM,
Joel makes a good point. The DAN report only contains reports from the US and Canada. The report notes that only about 50% of the byperbaric chambers responded with data. Lw enforcement officials don't report diver fatalities to DAN as a practice.

I was most intrigued by the cases where divers experienced dcs on the plane ride back home. In most cases the diver was using a computer and the profiles were apparently within limits. I have to believe that some part of the story is missing.
--Jason
09-19-2003, 04:10 PM,

Maybe the part where they forgot to use common sense instead of their computer Wink