Remember me
Lost Password Register

Prescription Mask vs. contact lenses with a norm Mask
03-03-2005, 07:08 AM,
Prescription Mask vs. contact lenses with a norm Mask
Does anyone have any recommendations on whether to wear contact lenses with a normal face mask or buy a prescription mask? I fear loosing a contact if my mask fills with water. I also fear not seeing well or losing a prescription mask. Carry a secondary or use contact lenses? Please advise.
03-03-2005, 11:30 AM,
Re: Prescription Mask vs. contact lenses with a norm Mask
I wear contacts while diving all the time.  I can remove my mask underwater, open my eyes partially (squinting) and not lose my contacts.  I am wearing the gas permeable plastic contact lenses though.  I am not sure if the soft lenses would be as forgiving.  I have heard from a couple people that did not like the prescription masks but having not tried them I won't speculate on them.
03-03-2005, 03:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-04-2005, 08:39 AM by beeger.)
Although I do not have any personal experience using a prescription mask, I can comment on the options available to you if you decide to go with a specialized mask. Certainly one option is to have custom lenses made specifically for your prescription. These can then be bonded to the inside of you existing lenses, or can simply replace your existing lens. This will vary by manufacturer. A number of mask manufacturers provide “standardized” replacement lenses for dual lens masks. I’ve seen these available in ½ diopter steps. The cost is cheaper than custom and these seem to get most people close enough to their prescription to be happy. There are also little adhesive magnification lenses that install on a non-permanent basis to the bottom part of your mask lens. These help if you are having a problem seeing things close up. The advantage here again is cost, plus these don’t change your entire field of vision.

I know this doesn’t directly answer your questions, but maybe it provides you some more options. For what it’s worth, having a “secondary” or backup mask around is never a bad idea. Masks do occasionally get lost or damaged. It’s nice to have a backup on hand that you know fits and works well for you.
"Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being." - Johann W. von Goethe
03-04-2005, 06:29 AM,
I swim freq, using goggles, wearing contact lenses. A little clorine water in the goggles doesn't hurt. But I fear being stuck under the surface of salt water (I live in MN, fresh water dives), with my buddy, my mask filling and the salt water getting in my eyes/contacts, maybe losing a lense or the prescription mask. I'm severely near sighted, neither would be fun situations.

I guess I will get a prescription mask, keep that as a spare (which I need anyway) and continue wearing my contacts as primary. If I need to replace masks, I'll have a prescription one. Worst case scenario, like I get salt water in my contacts AND drop both my masks trying to replace, I wear my equip close enough to see unassisted and practice exiting to the surface without assisted vision.

I'm taking night diving just to lesson my fear of limited vision under water.

Hey! I know I sound cracked but this is why women are always prepared for anything. Please note the large handbags.

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm feeling more comfortable about my first open salt water dive.
03-04-2005, 08:45 AM,
I have a cressi big eyes mask with custom lenses. I realy like the setup. I do not like the stick on optics as they are never where I want them. I also do not like contacts because I have had them in while swimming and lost them. the down side was cost the mask was $80 and the lenses would have been another $80 but the dive shop I was with cut me a good deal and made a deal with cressi (I got the lenses free but agreed to let people know I liked them or shut up if I didn't like them.) there now I fullfiled my oblegation Wink I realy do like them but would go to lasik if I had the chance 8)
MNLakeDiver (aka Jim)<br />The water is so cold I can see my breath !
03-04-2005, 06:52 PM,
I use prescription mask, and love it.  I have the type that the lenses are replaced with perscription lenses.  I have heard several people that don't like the stick on type.  I would use the prescription mask as primary. 
03-05-2005, 04:44 AM,
Do any particular brands of masks make for better candidates for prescription lenses? Particular shape of mask/lense? Is your vision still pretty clear?
03-05-2005, 10:43 AM,
I have never had any problem with mine,  the vision is always very clear.  I would just find a mask that fits you, and decide if you want the stick-on or the replacements.
03-09-2005, 08:58 AM,
I need prescriptive lenses also. I use a 2 window mask with standard replcement lenses at -6.0. Cost of mask is $45, lenses if memory serves me right is $39 each. I cant wear contacts due to imbedded shrapnel so I cant weigh in on those. can contact me in email for info if you wish Smile
Mark
PS I use the stick ons when teaching so I can read, but I still never like them, they wander around like a bored 12 yr old.
03-09-2005, 02:51 PM,
On a somewhat related note. Are there any divers out there who have had lasik surgery and what has been your experience with the results as a diver?
&quot;Nothing can resist the human will, that will stake even it's existence on it's stated purpose.&quot;-Benjamin Disraeli