Remember me
Lost Password Register

Florida Keys
10-02-2003, 12:54 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-02-2003, 12:55 PM by Derrick.)
Florida Keys
I will be in Miami for a couple of days on business the first part of February and plan on doing some diving in the Keys the rest of the week. I have never been to the Keys. Where is the best area to dive and what is a good dive shop?

Thanks!

Derrick
10-02-2003, 08:20 PM,
Re:Florida Keys
Derrick,
I've been off the Keys once before but not to any particular dive spot and not with any particular dive shop. From what I read, your best diving will be off the upper and middle keys, that would be a start. Maybe some of the old wrecks if you're into that sort of thing..look for gold or silver, there is the Looe Key marine management area too.
Don't rule out the diving right off of Miami...there's some deep wrecks there, artificial and natural reefs, rocks and sand to see.
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
10-02-2003, 08:53 PM,
Derrick,
If you're not stuck on the Keys, head north to Jim Abernathy Diving in West Palm Beach.
Nitrox, loooong dives, many wrecks and MANY sharks! Swam in the middle of sharks two days in a row. Over 2 dozen sharks swimming around us on one wreck dive.
The most exciting diving I've done.
See their website:
Dan L
10-03-2003, 06:44 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-03-2003, 08:57 AM by Inspirationdiver.)
There are a lot of nice wrecks in the keys. From what I've seen, the reefs are usually pretty beaten up though. They will usually take you to the wreck first and then do a shallower reef dive second for two-tank boat dives. I've done the Busch, Thunderbolt, Dwane, Bibb, Spiegel Grove, and Cayman off the top of my head. I'd recommend any of them. I've had good experiences with Tavernier Dive center. There are also a few good technical wrecks off of Key West like the Wilkes Barre.
10-03-2003, 08:00 AM,
I agree with InspirationDiver. The Spiegel Grove off of Key Largo was just awesome!!! Also did the Salvager off of Key West and a nite dive on the Benwood. I went with Horizon Divers out of Key West. They were really super especially their boat crews. They were rated #1 last year by Rodale's for the best boat crew in the Keys. (Sorry , just had to throw that in). I think no matter who you go with however, you will have a great time!

Jean Smile

P.S. If you are looking for some good restaurants down there let me know. I sampled my share of both GOOD and BAD ones.

How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
10-03-2003, 01:34 PM,
All this info is great! I didn't realize there were so many wrecks. I'll have fun researching which ones I'll dive.

Will a 3 mm be warm enough or should I invest in a 5mm?

Thanks!

Derrick
10-03-2003, 02:32 PM,
I usually go in March and the water temp has ranged from 72-78 degrees. I'd say bring a 3mm with a hooded vest. Bring some gloves to wear also, the wrecks can really tear up bare hands.
11-18-2003, 01:36 PM,
Derrick,
I have been diving in the Keys 2 times in the last year. Both times we had great diving. You can't beat Key Largo for value and location. I would stronly encourage you to visit Key Largo over most of the other Keys. It has the shortest boat rides to most of the well known sites, however it is still a 30-40 min. ride. Everytime Iwe have been diving in the Key Largo we have used Aqua-Nuts. I have also been with a few other shops in the area and have found none the are in the same class. Great boats, great crews and most important...great prices. Whatever you do ensure that you visit the Speigel Grove. It is a 500' landing ship that was sunk about a year and half ago. It is the most impressive wreck I have ever seen. It's a deeper dive (80-100 ft) but it is so large everybody spreads out and you feel like you have the whole thing to you and your buddy. Have a great trip!