Remember me
Lost Password Register

Ultra Low Volume Mask
11-11-2003, 09:45 PM,
Ultra Low Volume Mask
I wish I could take credit for designing this.. but I can't. But I did put this one together. I'm anxious to find a good nose plug and then give this one a try.
Soon to be diving "hands free" - Fred

Attached Files
.jpg   pipemask.JPG (Size: 35.9 KB / Downloads: 102)
.jpg_thumb   pipemask.JPG_thumb (Size: 36.63 KB / Downloads: 0)
Cold and dark down there huh?
11-12-2003, 11:40 AM,
Re:Ultra Low Volume Mask
Very cool Fred! 8)

I have been thinking about doing the same after seeing Wal's pictures posted on DB. They certainly would be cheaper than fluid goggles! What did you use to mount the pipe on? It almost looks like you have some kind of brass nipple mounted in the goggles.

Good luck finding the nose clip. Paradisia seems to be out of buisness. Their email address keeps bouncing back all of my requests and all of the normal vendors no longer have any in stock- nor do they seem to be getting in any new stock.

I have tried to use a metal-spring kayak nose plug with no success. I have even doubled up the springs from two seperate nose plugs to try and get it to grip, but it just blows off as soon as I try to do my first Vasalva. I see that some people have made their own version of a Paradisia nose clip and maybe you could tackle that next. Wink

Here's the picture of Wal's pipe mask and nose plug- both home-made.

Jon

Attached Files
.jpg   pipe-goggles.jpg (Size: 9.8 KB / Downloads: 98)
.jpg_thumb   pipe-goggles.jpg_thumb (Size: 25.44 KB / Downloads: 0)
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
11-12-2003, 01:11 PM,
Re:Ultra Low Volume Mask
Jon,
For the inserts I used 1/4" brass compression fitting guts. Drilled a tight fitting 11/64ths hole through the polycarbonate lens, superglued from inside around the ring of the fitting, and silicone sealed around the outside.. although I don't know that the silicone was necessary.
Here's a pic..

Attached Files
.jpg   pipemaskinserts.jpg (Size: 29.08 KB / Downloads: 95)
.jpg_thumb   pipemaskinserts.jpg_thumb (Size: 31.6 KB / Downloads: 0)
Cold and dark down there huh?