Remember me
Lost Password Register

I might not like this
03-07-2004, 09:53 PM,
Re:I might not like this
:SmileRe: The wetsuit issue. I was in coz a month ago and a 3mm was just fine for me. One thing that got alot of crazy looks directed towards me, was when the dive shops would distribute weights. All other divers on the boat were taking around 12 pounds. I weigh 175 and when it came to my turn, 20#. The suit I brought down there was brand spanking new and that was the min. that would take me down. At the end of the trip, I was using 10# as the air got smushed out. When getting your weights, stick to your guns and tell the dive shop that if they don't hurry, you'll add another 10# just for the heck of it! Later, S.dog.
&quot;Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel. &quot;<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Homer J. Simpson
03-10-2004, 07:08 AM,
I'm glad things worked out for you even if you had to switch LDS. It is a process of becomming more confident and competent (whether in the pool practicing for OW dives or after your certification). There are many resources (like MN scuba and your LDS) to get out and dive, to practice, and to HAVE FUN (that is the end goal right?).

Most people need a shorty or full 3MM wet suit for Coz or Cayman. It depends on your body. Think back to your pool sessions and make a note about how cold you got after being in the pool for an extended time. Some people are fine in the pool, others are not and are shivering after 20 min. It also makes a difference if you are doing one dive a day or three because of the successive loss of heat on following dives.
T
Safety first, ego last, actions speak louder than words or c-cards.
03-10-2004, 07:59 AM,
Go with the full length 3mm suit.

On one of my trips to Coz we were doing our safety stops in 20' of water at the end of the dive. This also happened to be in the middle of a school (?) of thimble jellies. One of the guys was ony wearing a shorty and got stung so many times that he missed the next 2 days of diving.

The extra protection will help you from getting burned by the sun as well. It will also allow you to make some nice summer dives in the shallow lakes around here.

Jon
&quot;Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge.&quot; -Charles Darwin
03-10-2004, 03:30 PM,
good point Jon ;D...go with the 3 mm. Protection and shallow dives locally.
Dean
Oops Did I really say that?????
03-11-2004, 01:11 PM,
I just dove Cancun last weekend and the water temp was upper 70's, lower 80's. I dove without a wetsuit as did 3 other guys. I did two dives about 50 minutes each; drift diving along the bottom reef. I didn't really get cold, at least not uncomfortably so.
Saw lots of interesting stuff and even a 6' reef shark.
No jellies, though I got sunburnt as we spent half an hour helping another dive shop look for their misplaced diver (lost the air bubble trail). Sadly, the diver had been down 50 minutes when we headed for shore, so it is tough to say what happened since air should have been running low around that time. Sad I think it would be too hot to keep a wetsuit on in that sun as well.
Up here, I dove without a hood until late September, early October, though it was a bit chilly on the head. I plan on buying a hood for spring (and fall) this year. Though I'm a warm person so I am not effected by the cold as much as others, or I'm too stubborn...maybe a little of both. heh.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, &quot;Damn...that was fun!&quot;
03-11-2004, 03:32 PM,
when I dove Cancun the cold did not bother me but I like to have a full suit for proction from the sun and also from things that bo bump in the wet. Wink
MNLakeDiver (aka Jim)<br />The water is so cold I can see my breath !
03-11-2004, 04:04 PM,
I've always worn at least a 3mm, plus a hooded vest, in the islands, but then I make 1 1/2 hour dives while taking pictures and don't move around too much. If I didn't have the suit on I would have sucked through my tank too fast and had to come up early.

When diving the Bahamas in April I wore a full 6mm suit with a 6mm hood. I wasn't too warm, but I did get a lot of bottom time in.

I now another diveshop owner who will wear a 6mm jumpsuit, plus a beenie cap, in water that's 84 degrees. Again he is a photographer who makes multiple hour+ plus dives and wants to stay warm.

The only time I only went with a t-shirt and shorts was in Utilia in August. The deep water was 86 degrees and the shallow water was 93 degrees. The warmer the longer your tank will last.

jon
&quot;Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge.&quot; -Charles Darwin
03-11-2004, 06:55 PM,
Chadwick, if we can get Jean to wear a hood we can get you to wear one too! Wink

I wear a hood and even dry gloves on every dive now. I am so used to wearing a hood I almost feel uncomfortable without one.
--Jason
03-12-2004, 07:43 AM,
LOL. Yea, Jean's already talked me into wearing a hood twice now. It's only a matter of time. Wink
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, &quot;Damn...that was fun!&quot;
03-13-2004, 08:55 PM,
helping another dive shop look for their misplaced diver (lost the air bubble trail). Sadly, the diver had been down 50 minutes when we headed for shore, so it is tough to say what happened since air should have been running low around that time.

I realize that it is technically not their responsibility, but I am blown away that your boat left when there was a lost diver in the water. :o What shop did you use? I will make sure not to use them on my next trip. :-\
Oops Did I really say that?????