Remember me
Lost Password Register

I might not like this
02-24-2004, 08:23 AM,
Re:I might not like this
Thanks to all the gave comments on my post. I spoke to the LDS yesterday about the class and we discussed my opinions and concerns. The owner was honest in saying they were evaluating this course and may make adjustments based on mine and others feedback. I was offered additional time to practice any of the skills I felt uncomfortable with.

At this time I am happy with the response of the LDS and will probably give it another try.

Thanks again to all....
02-24-2004, 09:07 AM,
Good luck and let us know how it goes after you get some more time in the pool. Wink
02-24-2004, 11:01 AM,

Very Cool!!!
Yes , let us know...Inquiring minds want to know how it goes. Big Grin

Jean
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH
02-24-2004, 07:37 PM,
i think yo can see that we all are genuinely concerned with your progress. Dive centers are/ or should be in the business of making their clients happy..especially when it comes to training...a diver puts alot of money forth to advance in his/her sport......i am glad to hear that you are going to be taken care of....Remember...take your time...find people to dive with that you can feel confident with...in time, your confidence level will grow, and before you know it you will be the one is offering your assistance to a newbie..sharing your experiences with that person..you will have first hand knowledge of what they are going through......Thats the great thing about this sport....from the newbies to the Most advanced technical divers...divers want other diver to get better and better....it makes the sport more fun for all...
Welcome to it...you will love it
dean
Oops Did I really say that?????
03-01-2004, 12:21 PM,
Follow up and question
Well I decided to continue my training but I did choose another LDS. The choice was based on location(close to home) and not the original LDS. I did another 1 1/2 hours in the pool and I feel alot better about my skills learned so far.

Now the question...

I will be going to Cozumel at the end of April to complete my certification and I want to buy a wetsuit. It seems (to me anyway) that I will need one for warm water (3mm) and one for around here. Can anyone suggest a different approach or other idea?

Thanks
03-01-2004, 12:29 PM,
Re:Follow up and question
You are correct. You will need a thicker wetsuit (6.5mil or 7mil) for around here unless you only plan to dive in the summer after the water has warmed and you plan to stay above the thermalclines. Even in the summer with the water temps at their peak it'll still be chilly below 20 or 30 feet.
03-01-2004, 04:54 PM,
I recommend renting a 3mil unless you are planning to do a dozen or so dives a year in the tropics. You can also rent a 7mm suit for the first couple cold water dives. Go ahead and buy a suit if you don't like the thought of using a rental.

I don't think you should buy much equipment right now. Wait until you get certified and then get a couple dives under your belt.
--Jason
03-01-2004, 07:34 PM,
If this is going to be a once in a great while southern trip.. next to renting a suit you could consider an elcheapo from places like FleetFarm.. $60 ($49 on sale sometimes) will get you a full or 3/4 suit in 3mm. They're nice enough suits and so what if it says Stearns instead of Mares..
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
03-01-2004, 07:44 PM,
Cozumel in April, at best you might need a 3mil..you will probably be fine with a shorty. I have never worn a wet suit while diving in Cancun or Cozumel. I have been there a few time throughout the year and never in the summer months. My guess is that you will see close to 80deg water. I usually just use a pair of trunks and a t-shirt..my wife uses a skin.

Around here you will need a 7 mil with hood and gloves. As you progress, you will no doubt get into a dry suit. Dont push this however. Get your bearings.. get alot of dives under your belt and think about it for the future. I would probably not buy any equipment right now. You probably own a mask snorkel and fins already. Take them. You will get in alot of snorkeling if you choose to. Besides, they are personal items...the rest is not so personal at this time.

Most importantly.......Enjoy yourself. Cozumel is mostly drift diving. just keep off the bottom and keep your eyes open. You will be able to see forever!
Stick with your dive master..instructor..and smile..its a great place to dive.

Alot of people dont mention this, but you will want to think about tipping your crew. They will give you great service either way, but sometimes you can get a little more information from them on any number of topics about anything and everything on the island.

Have fun
Oops Did I really say that?????
03-01-2004, 08:54 PM,
Just Curious: what dive shop??