Remember me
Lost Password Register

Orlando/ Daytona
11-29-2003, 03:54 PM,
Orlando/ Daytona
The wife and I will be in the Orlando/ Daytona area next week on business and are hoping to get some diving in. Has anyone dove in that area, Any thing good to see? Unfortunatly the Keys are out. :'( Any Ideas will be appreciated.
Tim & Anna
11-29-2003, 10:04 PM,
Re:Orlando/ Daytona
Unfortunately there is fairly little diving that far north on the Atlantic coast unless you go quite a ways out - which means heavier currents and greater depths. You'll probably have to go down to Jupiter to find daily dive excursions. If you check out the local areas though and contact a local dive shop you could work something out.

If you're cave certified there are some springs that are diveable in the Orlando area, though most require sidemount. I have some contacts who live in Orlando, PM me if you're interested.

David.
11-30-2003, 10:45 AM,
You could head up to Ginny Springs from Orland about 3.5 to 4 hour drive In Daytona the best diving would be down to West Palm Beach 3.5 hours south. 1.5 hours in Melboure Beach there are a couple of dive shops, Hatts and Deep Six, in Vero there are a few others can't remember them but to have better diving they take their clients to West Palm. You could head out in deeper water I see they found a civil war wreck that still has about 20 to 30 thousand gold pieces on it and it is in international water, but it is at about 1700 feet down.
Have fun
12-01-2003, 08:24 AM,
I wouldn't count too much on the Melbourne area to go diving - these diveshops usually send their people south for boat excursions, and the shore diivng is not the greatest by any stretch...
12-01-2003, 10:31 AM,
I get down to Daytona for work about one to two times a year. I would recommend going to Ginnie Springs if you have time. The one large cavern is alot of fun if your considering taking a cavern or cave course. Gives you a very small taste of an overhead environment in a very controlled situation. Not a place to spend an entire weekend but is fun for a day. That and you can't beat the clear warm water... As for ocean diving I would have to agree with everyone else. heading south is the norm for that area.....

Enjoy....

Chris Bloss
01-07-2004, 01:02 PM,
I haven't dove that area myself, always headed down to West Palm or Miami, but there is a nice spring only about 45 minutes north of there. I know some people who have dove it, or should I say "freedove" it, but they got down close to 90' before it turned into cave.

There's a freediver who lives in the area and has put together a rahter informative website about it.

Hope that helps.

Jon

"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
01-28-2004, 11:14 AM,
There is the Blue Grotto Spring in Williston, FL, which is only a couple of hours from Orlando:

You can always dive the Living Seas at Epoct Center. I believe the cost is $150.
01-30-2004, 11:51 AM,
Its time to leave this icebox and go to Orlando/Gainesville for the SD&T river trip!!! I will post a trip update and hopefully some pictures when I get back. Maybe I can get a shot of us with the manatees. I can't wait to try that night dive in the river and try the cavern course.

See you all soon!!!

Jean Smile
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH