Remember me
Lost Password Register

Cylinder Inspections
12-07-2003, 06:28 PM,
Cylinder Inspections
Updates to cylinder inspections and current eddy testing and filling station operators are published in the Federal Registor pages 53314 to 53320 and CFR 49 paragraphs 173.302 to 180.209 and update CGR 6.1
probably with in the next 4 month DOT standard will be requiring that shops will be doing Eddy Current Testing along with Visual Inspection due to increased Sustained Load Cracking in the neck and thread areas of Scuba, SCBA and O2 cylinders.
Also for shops doing technical mixes new regulation will be imposed on filling stations and FSO's (filling station operators) as to training of employees and safety divices need during filling.
What I have read thus far it's going to cost some of a little move money, but your SAFETY is at risk
12-09-2003, 07:10 PM,
Re:Cylinder Inspections
DOT has no authority over dive shop fill stations, only the transportation of cylinders. This is why they call them the Department of Transportation. I don't think it's a bad idea for shops to comply with DOT suggestion though. There's something I am very interrested in finding out. How many oxygen fires have occured in the scuba industry that didn't involve booster pumps or continous flow blending through compressors? It would be interresting research. To my knowledge there have never been any, but I have been wrong before.
Scuba Dive and Travel<br />4423 Nicollet Ave. So.<br />Minneapolis, MN 55419<br />612-823-7210<br />www.scubadiveandtravel.com<br />scubadivetravel@qwestoffice.net
12-10-2003, 08:32 AM,
After talking with the DOT 1-800-465-4922 shops that handle and transport cylinders for local dive trips, fun dives etc. fall under their authority and they can stop in and run inspections on us also OSHA can stop in to make sure that filling regulations as far as HAZMAT training for employees are being followed. As far as current eddy they are making it every 5 years with cylinder re-hydros.There is an estimated 4,000,000 cylinders that are affected to Sustained Load Cracking (SLC) in the SCUBA and SCBA area and every cylinders chance of SLC increase with every fill. Luxfer has put out a good guide on this problem and it is covered real good in the VCI by PSI materials.
If you go to and click on the left side of page HM220 the is some lengthy reading on this by the DOT

12-10-2003, 11:04 AM,
How does this affect people who are doing homebrewing, some of whom might even have their compressors?
12-10-2003, 11:36 AM,
according to the gentleman I talked with if you are just doing it for yourself there is nothing they will do unless there is an incident. If you are doing friends personally I would be concerned with the the year on their tanks most of these tanks are ones made prior to 1990 and you can always call the manufactor ie; Luxfer, Walter Kiddie, Catalina and with the serial number they can tell you the composition of your tank if it is one that is of concern they will let you know.