Remember me
Lost Password Register

UW Cameras?
01-02-2004, 04:39 PM,
Re:UW Cameras?
I was also looking at the Canon Rebel 10D/300D. Whatever model Best Buy has for $999.00. It is a sweet Digital SLR. However, I am not sure I want to be taking something like that underwater quite yet.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
01-02-2004, 08:04 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-02-2004, 08:23 PM by DanL.)
Chadwick,
I'm biased, but I think the way to go is Olympus C-5050 if you can still get one, or better yet the newer model C-6060 (has a wider angle lens).
Get the PT015 housing and you're ready to go way under $1000 (see Jon's post - on the internet you can find some great prices).
I'm sold on digital. I'm not a purist photographer, so what I say next may not be the opinion of better photographers. I find that with digital and the fast lens on the Olympus C5050/6060, and with Photoshop, you can do an awful lot of photograpghy with no strobe - even in deep dark conditions. Digital can be shot at very low exposure values and then the color and brightness brought back in Photoshop.
Call me if you want to talk more about it. 952-829-9227
Take a look at what I did to Jon's pic with 3 button clicks in Photoshop. Also, see some underwater digital pics I shot w/ no strobe at

Attached Files
.jpg   jon_shoots_film-2.jpg (Size: 92.46 KB / Downloads: 81)
.jpg_thumb   jon_shoots_film-2.jpg_thumb (Size: 25.02 KB / Downloads: 0)
Dan L
01-02-2004, 08:08 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-02-2004, 08:22 PM by DanL.)
Chadwick - Jon's pic that I enhanced looks pretty bad as posted because I was working with his compressed image file and then I had to compress to get under the 100k fiole size posting limit. But as you can see, you can clarify shots ("improve" the vis dramatically) with Photoshop and you can bring out colors that are buried in the image.
Dan L
01-04-2004, 12:31 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-04-2004, 12:47 PM by Chadwick.)
Did you mean the Olympus 5060 instead of 6060? It looks like a sweet camera. Then get the PT-020...Ebay has the camera for $485 and the PT-020 for $239. Not a bad deal. Wink ~$800 after shipping. hehe.
Thanks,
-Chad

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
01-04-2004, 04:38 PM,
Myself I like film but I do use digital a lot but have never blown up anything from digtal. Mainly use it for doing stuff for the web page. All my large portraits 16x20 and larger are all done on film (6x7 size). Has anyone attemted this size from digital?
If one is getting what you want for your pleasure and showing I would say that that is great. You are happy and that is what counts. I have entered contests some accepted some rejected but I was pleased with them all and so were the people that asked for copies of them.
01-04-2004, 06:35 PM,
Dan brings up a good point here. If you are shooting digital you definately should shoot the pictures at the cameras "full" resolution capabilities. You can always compress them down to a lower resolution/file size for emailing or posting on the web later but you can't get the high resolution back if you shoot your pictures in lower resolution. I always shoot my pics at the highest resolution my camera will go. Then I save the those pictures to my PC. Then I'll copy the files to another folder and process the copies with Photoshop. This way I still have the originals in case I want to do something different to the pictures. This is one of the biggest advantages to shooting digital.
01-04-2004, 07:29 PM,
I've printed great 8x10's from a 4 megapixel and 5 MP camera. The C-5050/5060's are 5MP and have a very good F1.8 lens - you can get great 8x10's and even probably great 11x14's if you shoot high resolution.
The real advantage is Photoshop as Lonnie referred to.

CHADWICK!!!!! Don't buy on eBay!!! You can get the same or better prices from a reputable on-line dealer and you be sure you get a USA warranty and not a gray market camera (no US warranty).

See these links for on-line prices and ratings of e-tailers for both the 5060 and 5050.

The housing seems hard to find in the US, but wait a few weeks and you'll get a good price.
Dan L