Remember me
Lost Password Register

Dry Air
07-10-2002, 07:39 PM,
Dry Air
Guys,<br>Has anyone noticed a difference in the air from dive shops?<br>I dived at Crosby at the weekend with Jerry, Danl, Bill and Jose.<br>The first two dives I had air filled from Fantasea Scuba, then filled at MSD and noticed that my air really dried out my mouth and throat. Or was it because it was the third dive of the day?<br>Mark
A bad day of diving is still better than a good day at the office............
07-11-2002, 02:46 AM,
Re: Dry Air
Hmm...the air in your tank is supposed to be very dry (almost no moisture) to prevent oxidation from forming inside your tank.  If you've been getting moist air (not good) one place to check is the little filter on the first stage of your regulator.  It should be clean.  If it's dirty that could be a sign of oxidation happening inside your tank due to moisture.
07-11-2002, 04:49 AM,
I haven't experienced dry mouth in my few experiences of scuba but... maybe this is why:<br><br>If dry air (mouth and throat) bother you.. have you ever tried a sherwood reg?  they have patented anti-dry regs that must work good.  <br><br>Fred Johnson
Cold and dark down there huh?
07-11-2002, 05:52 AM,
When I have got excessive dry mouth on dives in the past what I have done is remove the regulator from my mouth and blow some bubbles.  It's actually worked pretty good but normally if you drink lots of water before you dive that helps prevent getting dry mouth...at least for me anyway. Smile
07-11-2002, 06:14 AM,
Just remember to put the regulator back in your mouth...<br><br>Wink<br><br>Anyone ever used a SCUDA?<br>(Self Contained Underwater Drinking Aparatus)
07-11-2002, 06:44 AM,
Quote:Just remember to put the regulator back in your mouth...<br><br>Wink<br><br>
<br>LOL...yeah that's a good thing to remember.  Also if you are using a regulator with an adjustable second stage it's good to tune it down a little or flip the venturi lever to (-) before you take it out of your mouth because if you have it tuned to breath real easy it may freeflow when you take it out of your mouth. Wink<br>
07-11-2002, 12:11 PM,
My SCUBA instructor suggested that I suck on hard candy while diving to prevent dry mouth and throat. It works although it takes a little getting used to because of the reg. Also, there is the danger of swallowing the candy by mistake.  Big Grin
Hazel
07-13-2002, 07:05 AM,
The dry air comes from the filtration the fill station uses. The more moisture in the air the more chance of having condensation in your tank, which isn't good. If you are ice diving you want to have as liitle moisture at all. Here at Tall Pine Scuba we have our air tested quartly and our moisture runs about 8.6 ppmv which makes the dewpoint (where it will condensate) at -81 degrees. This is very dry air.<br>Good Diving
07-14-2002, 07:37 PM,
Hard candy??
hfrancois,<br>..not only swallowing it by mistake but what about choking on it?  I don't think having candy in your mouth is too good of an idea.  The Hiemlich (sp) might be tough with a tank on your back.  Not good.<br><br>Fred Johnson
Cold and dark down there huh?
07-16-2002, 04:05 PM,
I panicked while on my first OW dive because of dry throat. The next dive, the instructor told me to have some hard candy under my tongue and it worked pretty good. But you're right, it's probably not a good idea because of the "choking hazard".  Wink
Hazel