Remember me
Lost Password Register

First Dives - Cozumel & Grand Cayman - Expectations?
02-11-2004, 02:07 PM,
First Dives - Cozumel & Grand Cayman - Expectations?
My buddy and I are both recently OW certified. We decided at the last minute to book dives during port days on an upcomming cruise. Booked through the ship, understaning that this was not going to give us a good a dive as booking ourselves, but it is not like we won't be going back for an extended dive trip in the future.

My question is: what can I expect on the dive boat -- the logistics, service, etc. What happens before and after the dive, and how will rookies like us be handled underwater? I have my suit & gear, renting the BC/Reg/Weights. ANy help would be greatly appreciated.
02-11-2004, 02:13 PM,
Re:First Dives - Cozumel & Grand Cayman - Expectations?
This isn't exactly an answer to your question, but when are you going on this cruise? I am going on a cruise to those same destinations in a few weeks! Would be kind of funny if you were on the same ship as us. Smile
Enthusiasm is contagious. Start an epidemic.
02-11-2004, 02:32 PM,
Feb 22 - 29. I think the dives are the 26th and 27th. The ship is the Mariner of the Seas (Royal Caribbean).

Even if you are not on board with us, I hope that you have a good time.
02-11-2004, 02:34 PM,
I hope you have a great time too! We are going in March on a Norwegian ship. You will have to post about your trip so I can get the down-low before I go. Smile
Enthusiasm is contagious. Start an epidemic.
02-11-2004, 02:36 PM,
Puck,
don't sweat the dive boat.. if you've booked through the cruise there's going to be a lot of divers just like you and the dive masters/captains have seen it all. Most dive boats I've been on are near the same in what goes on... sometimes they like you to hand them your gear before you board the boat.. sometimes you board the boat carrying your own gear, sometimes the crew is handling your stuff as soon as you walk up the dock. They'll have the tanks all lined up against the sides and they will setup the bc's and regs on the way to the dive sites. With a bench in front of the tank holders it's easy donning the equipment. They'll be asking what you want for lead and if they think you're wrong they'll tell you what you want, and give you the option to change it on the next dive. Lot's of divers aren't familiar with their lead needs in the salt water, but what I've seen on the boats is that they generally figure most people want too much lead. More than likely, as they're setting up all the bc's onto the tanks that's a good time to get into your wetsuit..depending on the ride.. you may not want your wetsuit on for an hour ride. They will spend maybe 20 minutes or so discussing the dive and after that will be a time for you to ask any questions that didn't get answered. Stow away your gear under the bench and off to the sides or hold onto it.. If you have stuff you don't want to get wet, best to bring some kind of a dry bag because if you have rough seas and with all the divers coming out of the water, things get wet. If you're on a big enough boat there may even be a bathroom to use, which is fine if the seas are calm Wink
Cold and dark down there huh?
02-11-2004, 06:36 PM,
Ah, those first virgin dives off a Caribbean dive boat. You are so lucky. Smile

Here are my general tips:

-- Show up early to the dive boat. It will give you some time to settle down and get familiar with the vessel and crew.

-- Tell the boat captain and divemaster that you are newbies. They will plan the dives accordingly. The dive shop may put you on a boat with other newbies.

-- You will either be overweighted or underweighted for your first dive. Overweighted is probably better. Adjust your weight for the second dive.

-- Dont forget to look, breathe, and have a great time!
--Jason