Remember me
Lost Password Register

Underwater Towns
09-03-2003, 05:08 PM,
Underwater Towns
There is a pretty well known underwater town in Lake Joccassee SC. It is where NC, SC and GA meet. The town was flooded and is a very active dive destination in the SE. It was where the movie Deliverence was filmed. All structures were removed to about 100' and everything below 100' was left. In fact there are basketball courts, a church, cars... The most infamous site is the church cemetary. The bodies were removed but the headstones are still there(with some artificial skeletons) at about 125'. There are numerous old buildings that are still standing(made of brick), and best of all is a nuclear power plant near by. It is great fun to dive/surf by the water outlet. The water is 80+ degees in the winter. If you're interested you can do a google search and find out more.
09-10-2003, 08:56 AM,
Re:Underwater Towns
Where did you read about this? Every search I've done doesn't say anything about any town. Sounds like just another story.
09-10-2003, 09:07 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-10-2003, 09:07 AM by scott.)
I've also heard about an underwater town on Lake Mead, but I think it's just been rumors. The closest I've found about Lake Mead is an underwater concrete processing plant used when building the dam. It would be fun if it turned out to be true.
09-10-2003, 10:27 AM,
I remember reading a few years back about a reservior in Texas that covers a town and that during dry season parts of it are uncovered.
T
Safety first, ego last, actions speak louder than words or c-cards.
09-10-2003, 12:28 PM, (This post was last modified: 09-10-2003, 12:35 PM by freedivernd.)
Lake Sakakawea in ND has a sunken town.. Like-a-Fishhook (Fort Berthold) was flooded when they created the Garrison reservoir.
Sanish and Van Hook also were flooded...
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
09-10-2003, 03:57 PM,
Here is one link:www.offthewalldiving.com. I have dove in Lake Jocassee twice so it is real. If you look at the photos on the above site, you will see prehistoric shark teeth found in the Cooper River of Charleston. My son and I collected approximately 15,000 teeth while living in Charleston. Some of you may find Cooper River diving of some interest. It is unique.
02-11-2004, 01:37 PM,
Lake Lanier, located NE of Atlanta is also a man-made lake -- Buford Dam holds back water from the Chattahoochee River. Although most of the land was rural, there are a number of small town buildings and sights to see. Although I have never been able to dive there, I saw photos when I lived there, and often during a drought, warning markers are used to alert boaters of underwater hazzards like church steeples and utility poles.