Remember me
Lost Password Register

suunto mosquito
02-19-2004, 11:47 AM,
suunto mosquito
I am looking at purchasing a Suunto Mosquito dive comp. I know some of you have experance with them and was wondering about the +'s and -'s.
I want nitrox, non air intagrated and easy to use.

MNLakeDiver (aka Jim)<br />The water is so cold I can see my breath !
02-19-2004, 12:02 PM,
Re:suunto mosquito
I don't have the Mosquito but I have the Vyper. Very similar computers. I believe they do the same things except the Vyper gives you the option to dive in "Gauge" mode which is handy if you just want to use the computer as a bottom timer/depth gauge. If you are just going to be doing recreational dive profiles the Mosquito should work just fine for you. Whatever computer you decide to get I'd highly recommend replacing the stock watch strap with bungee shock cord. It's much easier to put the computer on and take off. Smile
02-19-2004, 02:46 PM,
I like the freedive mode of the mosquito.. 2 sec. intervals also like that the user can do the battery replacement. I've replaced mine once or twice now with no trouble.
Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
02-19-2004, 02:48 PM,
I've been doing all my dives on gages and tables. I mainly want a computer as backup and an easy log. my main concern is readability both under water and on shore.
02-19-2004, 03:28 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-19-2004, 03:32 PM by Freedive WI.)
I have a Stinger and a D-3. I really like the D-3 for freediving and mix diving. The timer is large and easy to read. It also has a nice second count timer for timing those deep stops that go by so fast- no need to wait until the next minute comes up to start your stop time. 8)

I will say that I had a problem with my D-3 when it first came out- it was reading 17' while I was still on the surface, but I sent it back to Aqualung and they gave me a brand new watch!

My Stinger is much more bullet-proof since it has a metal casing and a quartz crystal, instead of plastic like on the Misquito and the D-3. They do come with a lens guard, and I always use mine on my D-3, to protect the face. The Stinger you have to send back to the factory to replace the batteries, where as the Misqutito and the D-3 allow you to do it yourself.

My Stinger is actually an upgraded Sunnto Spyder, which was a complete P.O.S., and now will run for a couple of years on a battery. The Spyder never made it past 44 dives before I had to change batteries. The third time it happened I paid for the upgrade to a Stinger.

If you want to have the added air/nitrox computer functions a Misquito should work just fine, but since your already using tables I think that a D-3 might work out a little better for you.

There is a new watch coming out Called the Mares "Nemo". It is all the talk of the freedivng community, but some people are still sceptical since mares last freediving computer, the Apneaist, was another P.O.S., that broke down more often than it worked. Still, this new Mares watch might be one to consider depending upon the warranty and how well your local Mares dealer backs-up their products.

Just my $0.02

Jon
&quot;Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge.&quot; -Charles Darwin
02-19-2004, 10:22 PM,
I use the Mosquito, I really like it... It's small, which has it's plusses and minuses but overall I think it's a great unit. I bought the cable for it so I can download my profiles to my PC, it works. Never let me down except one time, but it was my own fault as I had it in 'watch' mode after entering the water... Under normal circumstances it will automatically go to 'dive' mode when submersed. I'd buy one again if that tells you anything. The only thing I may not like in the future is that the battery is not user replaceable and you have to have it done.
02-20-2004, 06:11 AM,
Chris, actually on Suunto's website they mention that the battery is in fact user replaceable. Wink
02-20-2004, 08:25 AM,
The battery is now user replacable and there is a $50 discount if you sit through a 1 hour class on how to use it(class is free) I am thinking this is a win win.
Chris, is it easy to read while on the dive that was my #1 concern about the small wrist mounts.
02-20-2004, 10:30 AM,
I use a Mosquito as a back-up computer (actually, I wear it all the time - with the face-protector on it). I really like the user-friendly menu modes.

As for the battery being user replacable, yes it is, but I recommend you buy the battery replacement kit w/ an extra screw down cover plate (I always destroy mine). In total, I think it costs around $11.

The screen could be a little bigger for ease of reading, but I haven't had too much trouble.

It is limited to EAN 50, but since you cannot switch gases it shouldn't matter anyway!

Overall, a great little computer.
'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy
02-20-2004, 10:51 AM,
I talked to Going Under about the replacment caps and they recomended using a quarter to remove the cap so you dont round of the slot Wink