Remember me
Lost Password Register

Andys Drysuit
02-23-2004, 09:32 AM,
Andys Drysuit
After 30 years of diving with wet suits, including ice-diving. I am going to finally break-down and get a Dry suit. I was impressed by an Andy’s Dry suit. I am looking for any feed-back (pro/con) on Andy’s suits. I would also like comments on front vs. rear entry zippers. Any other features that people think are must haves; I would like to hear about.
02-23-2004, 12:18 PM,
Re:Andys Drysuit
I have had my Andys for about 4 years now and have had no problems with it. The back entry requires some stretching but I can zip by myself. My neck seal was cut a little to large for me so I get a little leakage - but it if it is cut too small you can't get blood to your head (but you can always cut it bigger later). Smile

I have my purge valve on my wrist and really like it. I raise my hand and it purges. I see other people having to push there shoulder purges alot and roll over. For me it is automatic now.

The attached boots are nice but also a little to large so I have to have extra socks to fill the void.

However the DUI zip seals are interesting and the Dive Rite 905 's have a big following on this board.
02-23-2004, 12:23 PM,
Don't have any experience with Andy's Dry Suits - I dive a DUI TLS and love it.

I would recommend a front entry suit. I don't know if they're easier to get into, I do know they are easier to zip up. I've always been able to do it - and I've been asked by many rear entry suit wearers to help zip 'em up. I also think you're less likely to jump in with your dry suit open (yes, I've seen this happen).

Although I don't have one, a zippered leg pocket would be nice - nice to store slates, etc.

Enjoy diving dry!
'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy
02-23-2004, 01:35 PM,
Thanks for the response guys. One more question for the male readers of this forum. I see that some Dry suit designs have a zipper placed in such a way that you can relieve your self. Is this a feature that other Dry suit divers would like, or is this one more point for leakage the other way?
02-23-2004, 02:11 PM,
I wouldn't get a relief zipper on a drysuit. I'd go with a pee-valve instead. Here is a link to the one I have. Wink
02-23-2004, 02:52 PM,
I wouldn't get a relief zipper on a drysuit. I'd go with a pee-valve instead. Here is a link to the one I have. Wink

[/quote]

...or you can build your own for less than $10 by following these plans: . I spent about 100 minutes under the ice this last weekend and I can tell you that the p-valve came in very handy ;D.
02-23-2004, 02:53 PM,
A p-valve is worth the money. I had a drysuit with a relief zipper and it seemed that the only time I ever really needed to use it was when I was under water. The next suit got a p-valve.

JoelW
02-23-2004, 04:07 PM,
I dive an Andys DS3 -- front entry across the shoulders. It is a well constructed suit. Definitely get the stronger "extreme" weight material. It is a little more expensive but worth it.

I definitely like a front-entry better than the back entry suit. I have both to compare. The attached boots are big. You will need turtle fins. I'm not wild about the shoulder valve placement. I would consider a wrist valve on a new suit. Definitely plan on buying dry gloves.

You may want to hold off on the p-valve depending on how well your, er, plumbing is working. You can always easily add it later. I've never had a need for one yet (really, I swear).

Feel free to email me any specific questions.
--Jason