Remember me
Lost Password Register

Octi vs. Spare Air
02-26-2004, 04:21 PM,
Octi vs. Spare Air
I have a question for you guys. I'm new to diving, so bear with me. Would a Spare Air system be an acceptable replacement for an octi? I'd rather have a spare air than an octi so I could use it myself if necessary too. I plan on doing mainly cold water diving, and I'm wondering if anyone knows how the perform in the cold.

Thanks,

Brian
02-26-2004, 06:29 PM,
Re:Octi vs. Spare Air
I am sure you'll hear a lot about Spare-Air's from other's on this board, but the only use I have ever found for mine is to use it as a bail-out bottle while I am freediving with a scooter.

I know I can swim to depth, and back, on a single breath, but I wanted back-up in case the scooter floods while I am down on a wreck. Since I am freedivng I don't have to worry too much about deco stops.

I've never used it for scuba diving because I prefer to dive an H-valve, or doubles, with two seperate regulators.

Jon
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
02-26-2004, 07:52 PM,
No.

The octo is a safter, less expensive, long term investment. If you are a safe diver and dive with a good buddy you will never need the spare air. Once you gain experience and want to do more advanced dives you will have to ebay the spare air anyway. Meanwhile you will still be using that octo.
--Jason
02-27-2004, 11:51 AM,
If you dive with a buddie you can trust you are better off using second regs. If you are diving solo even solo in a group where you do not stay safely with your buddy a "real" pony bottle would be a better choice as spair air bottles are too small for a save accent from anyware you would need it.

but the best backup is a good buddie.
MNLakeDiver (aka Jim)<br />The water is so cold I can see my breath !
02-27-2004, 06:40 PM,
ASpare air is mostly used for solo diving. I't would be great if you are diving open water and need air due to a freeflowing reg or if you were just spacey and ran out of air. It would be enough air to get you to the surface, without a decompression stop. I admitt though I bought one and the only real use is gets is to get keys that fell over the dock/ boat.

If you are diving with a buddy get the octo. You can always pick up a spare air later although I don't feel you'll find it a necessary piece of dive equipment.
02-28-2004, 07:34 AM,
The only time a spare air is useful is when:

1. you have been working out like crazy at the gym
2. you find a Pamela Anderson look-alike (or the original thing)
3. you go to the State Park side of Square Lake on a Sunday afternoon
4. Pamela has an "in-water emergency"
5. you rip of your shirt, run to the water and pull out your spare air to save her
6. admiring looks from bystanders (can't guarantee it'll be for the spare air though - guess Pamela will get most of the attention)
02-28-2004, 10:23 AM,
I have a pony bottle with a quick disconnect tiger mount. I do a lot of video and photography and sometimes I'll lay there for a period of time to get the shot and I don't expect my buddy to stay on top of me. I get about 30 to 40 min. at 60 ft. off it I have always been a heavy breather so I like it but now with the weight restrictions on bags it that added weight that stops me from bring it.
It is nice for solo diving and on strong drift dives if you get sepated from your buddy or group. It is like a warm blanket.
The small spare airs I have a few friends that ran into trouble coming up from an out of air at 100 feet and have went to the pony bottles and like them better but they are costy as others have said.
02-29-2004, 06:45 PM,
To me, spare airs tend to be cumbersome and worthless. I personally have never dove with one, but have had people on my boat that have..they never seem to have control of it. Also, it may get you to the surface, but you wont be doing a safety stop. Not a good idea. I personally suggest either a pony bottle. which will give you plenty of extra emergency air, and H-valve with an extra Reg or a set of doubles. with two regs. The latter may be too much for you right now, but a pony bottle or H valve can do us all wonders. I like pony as it is a true alternate air source. A octo/exra reg is a necessity. think about having someone rip a reg out of your mouth in an emergency..do you want to find your spare air...un cap it. and shove it in your mouth? I would rather just tilt my chin to my chest and bite my backup reg.
Good luck
Oops Did I really say that?????
03-01-2004, 08:45 PM,
Thanks for all the information everyone. I guess I won't be buying one, I'm glad I asked before I bought one. Just in case I gave myself a bad name here, I'm not planning to run out of air or planning to push myself to that point on a regular basis. Smile The only thing that's got me concerned about diving right now though is the idea of running out of air. I like the idea of knowing that I have a backup no matter what. I bought a computer, so I don't antipate running out of air--it's like the warm blanket analogy someone made here.

This brings up another question. I made the mistake of buying a 1st stage, reg, and octi that I later found out would be bad in cold water. I got a mares MR12 Axis and the matching octi. I thought I'd go the cheap route, but later found out this wasn't the best idea. I have since bought the Mares Proton Ice (I know there is some debate about this product too...so please don't lecture me on that) Smile My question is this--I have heard that freezing typically happens in the 1st stage. I have a better 1st stage now, so could I get by with my MR12 Axis octi, or should I really need an upgrade for that too?

I'm going to be diving mainly around here and would like to try ice diving sometime. Can I get by with the octi I have now, or would that be too risky?
03-01-2004, 10:08 PM,

Reading this statement makes me nervous.

Make a habit of checking your pressure gauge every 5 minutes -- even more often when you are first starting out. Don't wait for your computer to start beeping at you. After a while the dive times and your gas consumption will become second nature.

Buy the best equipment you can afford. Check out what equipment more experienced local divers are using. I made some of the same gear purchase mistakes you did when I first started.
--Jason