Remember me
Lost Password Register

100 meter (328feet) CW freedive (fin down & up)
03-18-2004, 03:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 03-18-2004, 03:37 PM by freedivernd.)
100 meter (328feet) CW freedive (fin down & up)
On Tueday of this week Martin Stepanek, during training in the Caymans, reached a depth of 100 meters (328') in 3 min. 28 seconds. He's the first human to achieve this depth while finning down and finning back up. He was using a monofin. Mandy Cruickshank was down to 74 meters (242.75feet). They will be attempting to set the records officially later this month, but in my book, they have the records.
All I have to say is INCREDIBLE! Martin has held his breath for over 8 minutes btw. I think Mandy is over 6 min.
I've had the opportunity to meet Mandy in Vancouver, and to dive with their trainer, Kirk Krack. Jon, here on the board has taken Kirks Performance Freediving Clinic.
Here's a link to the play by play of their training in the Caymans. Some videos are on that site too.

Fred
Cold and dark down there huh?
03-18-2004, 04:08 PM,
Re:100 meter (328feet) CW freedive (fin down & up)
When I did take Kirk's clinic a few years ago I got the chance to meet, and dive with, Martin. The man is beyond human in the water. Wink

His lungs have been testes at the 194 %tile of the average human for his size. He has been a competitive monofin swimmer since he was a kid. HE aslo holds hte record for the longest breath hold (8:13) without cheating by hyperventilating on 02 for and hour ahead of time.

The 100 meter mark was first hit back in 1976 by Jacque mayol, but he used a sled and lift bag to go down and up- Martin just fins it. One of his more amazing dives was in Hawaii two years ago during the world competition there. Due to safety constraints all divers were limited to a mx depth of 70 meters (230'). Since Martin had sprained an ankle he did the dive in little rubber pool fins! Amazing!

I am not sure about the final fin choice as of yet. He set the record last year at 305' using bi-fins and the latest update I got form Kirk this morning was that Martin was using "fin(s)"- whatever that means? ???

Martin is also a certified commercial diver who amkes his living diving a helemt andhose, but freedives to 300'+ for fun. 8)

Jon
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin