Remember me
Lost Password Register

why should I go DIR ?
09-09-2004, 07:25 AM,
why should I go DIR ?
just asking the same question from the other side.
I have a sherwood outback so it is back inflated with no large fromt pockets.
I have a long hose on my octo. so it there is room to swim while sharing air but I donot have to go off my air to get it to my buddie.
I dive open water so no concerns about being 200+ feet in a cave.
I pratice my skills on every dive weekend I get.
so what does dir have to offer me?
MNLakeDiver (aka Jim)<br />The water is so cold I can see my breath !
09-09-2004, 08:34 AM,
Re:why should I go DIR ?
Jim, a good book to pick up would be the DIR fundamentals book written by Jarrod Jablonski. It's a good read with a great deal of information on DIR.
09-09-2004, 08:47 AM, (This post was last modified: 09-09-2004, 08:49 AM by Al.)
I am not DIR but I really like the long hose on your primary 2nd stage with your backup bungied around the neck. I know from experience (during valve shut down practice) that when you are out of air - you just grab the reg out of your buddies mouth and start breathing! :o

Having that safety 2nd stage always right by your chin is a big comfort for when you loose your primary.

The long hose can be a pain sometimes but it sure makes sharing air easier...
09-09-2004, 09:36 AM,
I agree the long hose is nice that is why I have it on my octo. I have been with buddies that used my octo while repairing their 2nd stage from free flow.
I have never lost my primary that I couldnot reach it at my right hip if I did my octo is right in front of me tucked into my belt
09-09-2004, 02:56 PM,
Al is on the right track. Your panicked buddy is going to grab the reg from your mouth anyway. If you have a system and process in place to deal with it you may be in better shape.

Also, it would be nice to hand your panicking buddy a reg you know is breathing properly.

Backup regs never stay in place -- especially at night while going through the trees. If you bungee the backup you know exactly where the backup is located. Less task loading = greater safety.

I should note that the long hose and bungeed backup isn't a DIR invention. I think DIR simply popularized it in the rec world.
--Jason
09-10-2004, 07:21 AM,
I have not had a buddie grab my primary but I can see the bungie point of view and will keep it in mind when going over my gear in the off season.
what about weight intagrated BC.
as a diver of girth I have had problems with weight belts in the past and prefer my intagrated cliped pockets(not velcro)