Remember me
Lost Password Register

DIR section
04-08-2004, 09:19 AM,
DIR section
I posted this on the WIscuba website as well and would like to get interested parties' input here as well:

How would you feel about adding a discussing section just devoted to DIR diving to the forum?
I have noticed this forum has quite a few DIR divers contributing, and a lot of questions being asked. It would be nice if someone would like to get a specific DIR answer to a certain question to get a (hopefully somewhat ;D) straightforward answer, without having to sift through a variety of options. This will still allow for certain other discussions (like the deco and gear ones) to continue in the other forums if a wider variety of answers is considered.

Please post your input, and if there is enough interest Jason will go ahead and add a link.

Best,
David
04-08-2004, 11:30 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-01-2006, 04:22 PM by LKunze.)
Re:DIR section
Yeah, it wouldn't hurt to have a DIR forum.  I'm not personally DIR since I haven't taken a GUE course but I have adopted many of the DIR methods and I dive a DIR rig. There are quite a few DIR divers on the boards here and over on the wiscuba.com forum as well so I'll vote for it. Wink
04-08-2004, 12:32 PM,
I would LOVE to have a DIR section on this forum or the WI Scuba forum to discuss DIR things. I am 100% DIR and think it would be very nice to be able to discuss questions, issues, and ideas without having to be bombarded with arbitrary input from non-DIR divers. If they chose not to be DIR, then they simply do not have to read or contribute the DIR section thus respecting our choice to be DIR.

One suggestion - it would be beneficial if the moderator of the DIR section would edit out posts that are there simply to argue the attributes of DIR and reserve the DIR section for productive and informative conversations. That way the function of the DIR section will be better served since the contributors already subscribe to the tenents of DIR, and readers will not be inundated with irrelevant conjecture.

~Amber*
04-09-2004, 06:14 AM,
I dive DIR also. Except for the fact that I use Dive Rite, which is not on their approved list. The only thing I question about DIR is why is the author of the book is the owner of Halcon? Could it be another way to sell his gear? He really dosen't say why for instance why OMS or Dive Rite backplates are not on the approved list. Any insight would be appreciated.
04-09-2004, 08:14 AM,
I see it more like "The 10 Commandments VS. The 1000 Rules"

04-09-2004, 08:29 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-09-2004, 08:31 AM by LKunze.)
Using non-Halcyon gear does not necessarily mean it's non-DIR compliant gear. There isn't anything non-DIR about an OMS or DiveRite backplate. A backplate is a backplate. Wings and harnesses are a different story though. Bungied wings or softpack harnesses with 50 D-rings and suicide clips are not considered DIR for example.
04-09-2004, 09:14 AM,
Isnt there already a fully DIR focused forum called "The Quest"? I don't see why another is needed unless it's to try and advertise to potential converts? Don't most DIR people already follow DIR through the quest?
04-09-2004, 09:47 AM,

"The Quest" is a bar downtown Minneapolis; "Dirquest" is an online forum organized through GUE. You have to pay membership dues to receive the emails, and it's definitely not a local initiative. My aim was for people who are locally interested in DIR to have an online outlet. Also, this way people who would like to dive with likeminded people can get together, etc. This isn't about advertizing or being a Global Underwater Evangelist, just about offering the correct info to people who want to find out more. BTW, there are several other forums that either have DIR oriented sections, or are completely dedicated to DIR diving in a specific region (e.g. check out all of the DIR yahoo groups).
04-09-2004, 09:53 AM,
The same could be said for the rebreather section on this site. Rebreathers, and DIR, go beyond single topic websites- just like freediving. The idea is for local, and semi-local Wink, divers to disscuss areas of interest as it pertains to their diving.

When I scuba dive I do so with a DIR set-up, and mindset. Following the Quest list doesn't help me since I don't penetrate 325' caves to 20,000 feet. I dive wrecks, specifically those in this area. Just like I follow freediving lists, to find out who broke what record and what training program might be working our for which athlete, but there's very little information coming out of New Zealand on the ice conditions up at Lake Wazee. ;D

I say it get's it's own home just like rebreathers and Freediving have theres. Maybe we could even set up a section for freshwater photography- since that's something that's not always covered too well on hte photo forums.

Jon
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
04-09-2004, 10:08 AM,

Will,

Jarrod Jablonski is the CEO of both Halcyon and GUE, and there is somewhat a conflict of interest there. However, almost any GUE instructor will tell you that there is a wide variety of brands that can be used within the DIR system, some needing minor modifications. For example, if I remember correctly you dive a DR Trek wing. I used that same wing for my DIRF class diving double AL80's. I removed the bungees and cut of all the tabs, and lined the inside of the wing with rubber innertube. I changed out the pulldump for a straight elbow and removed the little ball on the bottom dump. The only thing that is needed to make the wing truly DIR is to replace the inflator with a slowblowing inflator instead of the high powered one that comes standard on the DR wing.
One of the big things about DIR, however, is that it's not all about the gear (which is the most commonly made mistake). It's also about using the correct gasses, proper technique, team based approach and a healthy lifestyle.
Before I took the DIRF class I thought I knew what DIR was all about from doing my research, but after taking the class I realized that, although I had a pretty good knowledge base, there were still a lot of details I wasn't aware of. That's why taking a DIRF class was such an eyeopener and why I can recommend to everyone who is truly interested in DIR.