Lost Password Register

DIR section
04-09-2004, 10:30 AM,
Re:DIR section
I'd like to see a DIR section.
04-09-2004, 05:10 PM,
Jason,

what do you think - do we have enough votes to make this a reality?

David
04-12-2004, 06:48 AM,
Hmmm, interesting... So the 'Advanced' and 'Equipment' sections don't do the trick?

Just asking... I want to be sure this is the right thing to do before creating a new category.
04-13-2004, 08:33 AM,

Chris,

I think the advanced and equipment discussions are great but they do allow for debates to get sidetracked if someone asks a DIR specific question, for example: look at the debate about rec trimix/triox. This is a very DIR gas to use, yet some very qualified divers dissagree with its usefulness. While I believe such a debate is great as an advanced discussion, if someone wants to know specifically what is DIR about it, they will have to wade through a ton of conflicting info. A DIR discussion section won't allow for this kinda sidetracking. As it seems that there is more and more divers who are either 100% DIR or moving in that direction I thought it could be a positive addition to the board.
04-13-2004, 09:47 AM,
Another big misconception about DIR is that it's just about the gear.

THere are many other parts to DIR that just don't get covered in a gear debate.

I have seen more than one diver who has all the toys but isn't close to DIR because of their fitness, buddy awareness, gas planning, solo diving, ect.

Jon
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
04-13-2004, 10:12 AM,
I agree that a moderated DIR section would allow for discussions of DIR topics without getting sidetracked by conflicting opinions from outside the DIR schema. I also agree that while there are several other forums that feature DIR sections, it would be useful to have a locally oriented DIR forum. I'm looking forward to the first topic discussing what the term "100% DIR" means.
T
Safety first, ego last, actions speak louder than words or c-cards.
04-13-2004, 03:53 PM,

Todd,

all of that will become clear after you take the DIRF, but since you asked:
- if you don't have proper equipment, don't do the dive
- if you don't have the proper buddy, don't do the dive
- if you don't have the proper gas or can't afford it, don't do the dive
- if you're not physically fit, don't do the dive
- if you don' have proper support, don't do the dive
- if you don't have the correct skillset, don't do the dive
- if someone tries to talk you into any BS, don't do the dive
- if you haven't gone over a proper diveplan, don't do the dive
- if you haven't calculated your gas reserves, don't do the dive
- if you haven't done your pre-dive safety check, don't do the dive

I guess you start getting the picture Wink
04-14-2004, 10:09 AM,
Questions for you DRE,

Are you saying that if the moderator creates a DIR section that those who are not 100% DIR or leaning toward that way, cannot participate in the discussion? As this may lead to sidetracking from 100% DIR mentality, discussion, or usefulness?

Perhaps it could be listed who CANNOT be 100% DIR?
-Those who smoke?
-Those who are "overweight"?
-Those who rely upon a dive computer for execution of their dives?
-Those who use "Air" for dives to 130 feet?
-Those who don't use tables/pre-approaved DIR software for planning their dives?
-Those who dive anything but the DIR approved RB80 SCR Rebreather?
-Those who don't average their depths throughout the dive in their head?
-And should everyone be tested for a PFO so as not to be considered a candidate as a buddy?
-And perhaps many, many more diving choices being made?

Obviously I'm not DIR, nor do I claim to know everything about it. It does fit a niche group of people, and there are some good ideas from out of the DIR camp that can be incorporated into useful techniques for any diver. (DIR is a culmination of many pervious designed outlooks)
But there are a lot of people who are in the categories above that are not allowed to be 100% DIR, and whom would have to conform to a strict standard set of behavior, outlook, planning, etc to be 100% DIR.

I think the great majority of this forum is made up of those people, and I don't think a category should be made so that it segregates those people from posting or participating in that discussion as it may "sidetrack" from what is being discussed?

This is not to make you defensive of what you obviously have a very zealous feeling about; instead my feeling is this forum was designed for the open discussion of topics, whether those "sidetracked" the issue or not - that's part of human nature - (just look at the answer to questions of a speech by our president.) And yes, much of what is said in forums such as these is not constructive, simply subjective and not objective, or only raised from opinionated, self-serving, pseudo intellectuals, or mouth divers looking to get a "rise out of someone" - which doesn't really help find better solutions or the communication of ideas. But do we want to stop those people's freedom of opinion or speech? I don't think that can be?

You've said, "A DIR discussion section won't allow for this kinda sidetracking"...
Why not simply create your OWN locally based DIR forum and you could moderate it so that those who you wished to be silenced, kept out of the discussion, or any disallowed sidetracking would not occur? I'm sure other people would help you, wouldn't that be easier?

Like I said, I'm not trying to attack you, just pointing out that most people want to have an opinion, whether constructive to the issue or not - should they not be allowed to do so?

04-14-2004, 10:23 AM,
oh, and I just wanted to add: The more I think about it, I think a section on DIR wouldn't be bad and I could place my vote for it. Just like others have pointed out pertaining to freediving, rebreathers, etc - just as long as it can have a free discussion of thoughts and ideas so anyone can grow from it. Some things in DIR might be wrong or right, we all wont be able to make our own choice unless we have a chance to see and discuss both sides.
04-14-2004, 10:29 AM,
I think your side tracking the issue here.

If your not DIR, or even if your working on becoming DIR, I think you could chime in on the system. It would be a section to disscuss DIR specific ideas.

It's just like the Rebreather and Freediver sections of this forum. Follow them long enough and you learn something- like which freediving fins might work for scuba diving. It doesn't mean that your going to sell all of your scuba gear and just freedive, but maybe some of those freediving skills might help you out in some way.

I was trained on the Dolphin rebreather and really didn't care for it, although it was before the oxygauges were around and that might have something to do with it. That being said, I still like to follow the rebreather thread and pick up bits of information along the way. When I have had questions about how Inspriation divers plan bail out for a certain situations others on here have been very forthcoming in how they plan for such events. Information, and ideas, were exchanged and that's what this forum is all about. It doesn't mean I am about to go buy a rebreather, but it's always interesting to see what comes along and what others are willing to trust, and why. No judgement, just information.

I feel that a DIR section would follow the same example- sharing information about a certain style of diving with anyone interested in following the disscussion. No one says that this would be a battle zone. We're not all Geroge- Irvine or Bush. Wink

jon
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin