Remember me
Lost Password Register

DIR section
04-14-2004, 10:39 AM,
Re:DIR section
Jon,
well said, and agreed.
Hopefully it will be as open as you describe.
04-14-2004, 11:37 AM,
Dirk,

it is not my intention at all to exclude people from participating in a DIR forum - quite the opposite. I do believe, however, that there are certain misconceptions floating around with regards to DIR, which if someone would like to get a DIR specific answer, at least in the DIR section they will get (hopefully) the correct answer according to DIR. This is not to say that there aren't multiple solutions to a certain question, and that's what for example the advanced discussions or gear discussions are there for. However, to give you an example, recently there was a discussion about solo diving. Many people have conducted solo dives without any problems, yet there is no place for solo diving within DIR. That is a personal choice you make as a DIR diver. If someone would like to know why solo diving is not considered DIR, the DIR forum would allow that person to get that answer, without enticing a pro-con back and forth about the merits of solo diving.
I have made the personal decision to adhere strictly to DIR protocol - again, that was a decision I made based upon my previous dive experiences and the information I gathered over the years. This does not mean I'm willfully trying to exclude anyone from participation in a discussion forum. FMT just asked the question what constitutes 100% DIR and I gave him a short overview of some of my answers to that question. This has nothing to do with who can or cannot participate in a discussion forum - this is a free country! The two are totally separate and maybe I should have PM'ed FMT instead of posting it on the board...
Just like the rebreather and freediving forums serve a specific function - disseminating information about rebreathers and freediving and dealing with specific topics relative to those "niche" styles of diving, I believe that a DIR section can fulfill a similar function, and that's all I implied in my initial request to the moderators of this forum.

PS: I have no intention whatsoever to wanting to become moderator of the DIR forum if Jason and Chris decide to go ahead with it, so it definitely won't be me deciding what can and cannot be allowed in the DIR section Wink

04-14-2004, 01:15 PM,
Dirk,

one more thing I'd like to add: diving to me is all about having FUN, so is participating in online forums. I do this because I like this, so the last thing I want to see happen are shouting matches, ego-sizing, etc.

Best,
David
04-14-2004, 01:26 PM,
David, off the top of my head I can't think of anyone else actively participating on mnscuba.com that would have enough total knowledge of DIR to moderate a DIR forum though with the exception of Jon (Freedive WI).
04-14-2004, 02:42 PM,
David, off the top of my head I can't think of anyone else actively participating on mnscuba.com that would have enough total knowledge of DIR to moderate a DIR forum though with the exception of Jon (Freedive WI).
[/quote]

I don't think Jon would mind moderating it, plus that there's the DIRF class in June, which will be attended by quite a few active mnscuba contributors. I don't think it'll be too hard to find someone who'd be interested (I may even know someone else right now Wink)
04-14-2004, 03:27 PM,
If you put it on the Wiscuba site I would mention Gert (Deep Blue). He has done a full range of GUE courses himself and has run at least 2 DIR-F courses through his shop- and has 2 more planned for this summer. He also has the best equipped, local, DIR shop of anyone that I know of- and no, it's not just Halcyon Wink. I am not sure if he would be interested in moderating the MN forum, but he might. MAybe the Wiscuba forum would be a better place since it seems, from the posts I've read, that ther are more DIR divers in Wisconsin than in Minnesota.

Jon
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
04-14-2004, 03:33 PM,
I appreciate all the feedback on this topic so far. I have read these posts and have received PM from a couple people. Obviously there is interest in this topic.

Chris and I are trying to figure out how to meet the needs of members without impacting the "tone" of the forum. Love it or hate it DIR discussions have created firestorms on other forums at times. Can we bottle up these discussions in a forum without shaking the bottle too much? Hopefully.

One idea we are considering is adding a "Midwest DIR" section to the wiscuba.com forum. Milwaukee has a couple of organizations that are focused on DIR teaching and methods. Plus, mnscuba already has the rebreather and freediving forums.

Thoughts, advice, free dive gear always appreciated.
--Jason
04-14-2004, 03:35 PM,

Jon, you realize we were posting the same thought at almost the same time? You must be my long lost twin brother. Smile
--Jason
04-14-2004, 03:41 PM,
You must be my long lost twin brother.

Can I borrow some money? WinkYour neice wants to buy me a new speargun for my birthday and needs an advance on her allowance. ;D

Jon
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin