Remember me
Lost Password Register

local dive shop(we love you but...)
03-11-2002, 09:22 AM,
local dive shop(we love you but...)
ok we all love our LDS but how much is love worth with online prices so much lower?<br><br>so what items are you willing to buy online and how close does you LDS have to be in price to make you stay with them?
MNLakeDiver (aka Jim)<br />The water is so cold I can see my breath !
03-11-2002, 09:47 AM,
Re: local dive shop(we love you but...)
Good question, and a hot topic at that!<br><br>Well, honestly I'd have to say if you have to try it on you should buy it at your LDS.<br><br>Pretty much any item under $50 (LDS price) I'll try to buy locally, but there's always exceptions. I guess if I can get it shipped to my door for less than the LDS then I will. I tried the whole loyalty thing and the only one that got hurt was me. It's my money, my purchase and my decision... if someone wants my business they'll have to earn it. FantaSea Scuba seems to be as competitive as any LDS around and in some cases pretty comparable to online prices. Could I have saved money buying everything online, of course. Would I have the knowledge I have now? Maybe, maybe not. This is a tough subject, but one I have changed my mind about 180 degrees since I started buying gear.<br><br>In one sentence... If I can save money, I will. But money isn't the only consideration I'll have when comparing. The LDS has a lot more to offer than an online store.
03-11-2002, 10:27 AM,
 Here's my two cents...<br>  I will buy accessories online but I bought my life support gear at a LDS.  I could have saved at least a third of what I spent on my Reg, BC, and Computer had I bought online but in a pinch I'm counting on the LDS to be there for me if I need quick, convenient, quality, and fair service.   I too had a hard time making a decision and in the end it comes down to what you feel comfortable with.  <br>  In the long haul if you are going to stick with your gear purchases for awhile then $$-wise LDS purchases may even out with what you'd save buying online when factoring in some price breaks and service breaks you may receive from the LDS from buying from them.  If you're going to upgrade gear every year and you are the type of person that has to have that newest model piece of gear every year then buying online and selling your old gear on Ebay each year might be your best bet.  <br>  If you buy online I doubt any local shop is going to deny you service, afterall service is part of their business but, don't expect to receive any breaks, or be greeted with a big smile when you're bringing in your brand new shiny reg for a tune up that you just bought online and were previously checking out at the LDS.  <br>  Another thing I'd point out is that most online purchases do not include a legit official (Mfg's Warranty).  Most online dive stores will offer there own warranty so to speak covering defects etc. but you'd still have to ship the product back to them.  Same with servicing issues, you'll have to ship it out and most likely pay for the shipping out of your own pocket.  Maybe it's an unlikely scenario but it would be less convenient and cost more to do this.  <br>  
03-11-2002, 10:56 AM,
<br>I would be more inclined to buy from the LDS if they were within 10% of the online prices.  I bought about $2k of gear from scuba center several years ago.  I could have gotten a higher "grade" of equipment for the same price online.  Maybe the higher grade equipment would last longer, be safer, etc.  <br><br>I don't see why any LDS would have a problem servicing my equipment.  Nobody has ever asked where I bought it.  If someone has a problem I have plenty of stores to chose from.  <br><br>
--Jason
03-11-2002, 11:22 AM,
Quote:<br>I would be more inclined to buy from the LDS if they were within 10% of the online prices.  I bought about $2k of gear from scuba center several years ago.  I could have gotten a higher \"grade\" of equipment for the same price online.  Maybe the higher grade equipment would last longer, be safer, etc.  <br><br>I don't see why any LDS would have a problem servicing my equipment.  Nobody has ever asked where I bought it.  If someone has a problem I have plenty of stores to chose from.  <br><br>
<br>Yeah...that is a good point too.  There are plenty of dive shops locally, if there were only one or two it might be a less comfortable situation to bring your online purchases into for service.  Heck, some people don't care.  Bottom line is online purchases will definately keep more in your wallet up front in the short term anyway.<br>
03-11-2002, 11:27 AM,
I guess I'm just looking to save as much as possible right now. Getting into this sport is EXPENSIVE! Once I have all my gear (and I pretty much do finally), I will probably mello out a little and regain my composure so to speak... It's just really overwhelming at first.<br><br>Also... it really angers you when you find out you could have saved $200 on a $600 item!
03-11-2002, 12:23 PM,
personaly I feel if I need to try it on I will buy it where I try it but if my choice is a one size fits all item I will go with the better price.<br><br>I will probably buy my regs. online if a LSD refuses to service them I will goto a new shop.<br><br>but I will also buy my BC in a store so I can try it on first.
MNLakeDiver (aka Jim)<br />The water is so cold I can see my breath !
03-28-2002, 09:51 AM,
LDS's
I just had a little flashback that made me realize that the price of items is not necessarily the main focus. Although it's still difficult to NOT compare prices online versus the LDS, it is however a little unfair. Your LDS (if it's a good one) provides much more to a diver than just gear. Perhaps you can look at their prices as including a knowledge base, experience, guarantees, piece of mind and the future. I'll admit I probably won't buy all my gear locally. To say that would be lying... but in light of something that happened to me today I do believe I will try a lot harder to support my favorite LDS and would encourage you to do so as well. I really think we're missing a valid point of the LDS and it's one of those 'Don't know what you've got till it's gone' scenario's. I personally enjoy spending time on the phone or at the LDS itself... heck, without them I wouldn't be into scuba to begin with. Maybe its time we sat back and looked a little closer to the big picture?