Remember me
Lost Password Register

"P" Valves
04-16-2004, 01:22 PM,
"P" Valves
I came to the conclusion a couple weeks ago that a "P" valve is a necessity in my dry suit. What manufacturers are out there, and what has people's experience been with them.
04-16-2004, 02:22 PM,
Re:"P" Valves
My Diverite p-valve crapped out on me after one season and started to leak. I then switched to an E.E. and had no problems with it at all. If I ever buy another drysuit I'll put the E.E. valve in it.

Jon
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
04-16-2004, 02:40 PM,
Not knowing much about p-valves, is the EE automatic balancing or manual?
04-16-2004, 02:58 PM,
I highly recommend the Eliminator P-Valve. Very good quality components (Delrin, etc.) and much cheaper than most other ones out there. The Eliminator comes in Balanced or Unbalanced. I opted for the Unbalanced version. Here is the link.
04-16-2004, 08:36 PM,
Ok, Now some needs to explaine the operational difference between balanced/unbalanced.
04-17-2004, 06:32 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-17-2004, 06:32 AM by JoelW.)
Balanced valves have a one-way valve on them that equalizes the pressure in the tubing to the pressure in the suit, which is the same as the water pressure,or real close. Both types have a one-way valve right above the outlet. In both cases the one-way valve at the outlet has to be opened against the pressure of the water outside the suit. It takes more user force to open the unbalanced version. How much I am not sure since I have never seen or heard of a report on a randomized study of the relative p#ssing strength for individuals in above atmospheric conditions. In short, no pun intended, a balanced version is the equivalent of not having to pee uphill against the water pressure outside the suit. The downside is the that the balanced versions take more room and the direct route out is difficult to set up unless the outlet is near the knee.

I have an EE balanced version.

JoelW
04-17-2004, 08:56 AM,
The reason some people go with a balanced as well is that it has a one way check valve in it, so fluids will only go overboard. They are afraid of possible infections up the urinary tract from contaminated water entering the tube of the non-balanced kind. The downside with the balanced kind is that urine stays in the tube, so after each dive you have to make sure you clean out the tube. With the non-balanced kind all liquids drain out right after the dive, so I find it less maintenance.
One other reason why people use the balanced kind is that offers one more safety feature: if you loose the bolt and the condom catheter comes undone water still cannot enter the suit because of the one way check valve. I personally started carrying an extra bolt in my flat pocket and the chances of the condom coming off are so slim I'm not worried about that.
Personally I use the non-balanced kind, homemade off of .

Let me know if you have any more questions.
David
04-17-2004, 04:47 PM,
I also know that the non-blanced ones are used by people in wetsuits. I never minded going in my suit, but some of the spearos who spend 8+ hours a day in their wetsuits don't like to "marinate" in their own juices all day and will put a p-valve into their wetsuit.

Jon
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
04-24-2004, 09:16 PM,
I heard that taking Alka-Seltzer after a dive will prevent uninary tract infections. Biologically speaking, it sounds feasible, though I have not looked for any definitive proof cause I don't have a pee valve (or a drysuit for that matter..yet)
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn...that was fun!"
04-26-2004, 07:44 AM,
On an unbalanced valve, do you have to open or close it when you go (and hence the concern about loosing the bolt)?

If so, how hard is it to operate with thick gloves on?