Remember me
Lost Password Register

dressing for tech diving? (was in What the Heck is DIR?)
04-21-2004, 08:02 AM,
Re:dressing for tech diving? (was in What the Heck is DIR?)

Well stated.

I have never taken a DIR course, and most likely never will (I'm thinking DIR and CCR's don't mix well). I can certainly appreciate some of the things I've heard from individuals on the board, and some of the things I've read on my onw. Some of the courses sound great, no hand shake and $50 for a card, you really need to prove you have both learned the material, and can apply it in the water.

Fitness, training, planning, and gear configuration are all important aspects of diver safety. I don't think many would argue with that.

In my opinion, it is our nature as humans to question and use our intellect to analyze the world around us. If we didn't do this we would still believe that the earth was a flat plane at the center of the universe with the stars supported by a celestial dome that rotated around us.

To the extent that DIR causes us to think about safe diving I think it's great. To the extent that it stops us from thinking, because someone else has already done the thinking for us, it scares the crap out of me. Just like religion, it's neither intrinsicly (sp?) good or bad, it's how you use it.

Messages In This Thread
Re:dressing for tech diving? (was in What the Heck is DIR?) - by ghosch - 04-21-2004, 08:02 AM
Re:dressing for tech diving? (was in What the Heck is DIR?) - by Groovekitty - 04-21-2004, 01:09 PM