Remember me
Lost Password Register

dressing for tech diving? (was in What the Heck is DIR?)
04-21-2004, 08:29 AM,
Re:dressing for tech diving? (was in What the Heck is DIR?)

Quote:

To the extent that DIR causes us to think about safe diving I think it's great. To the extent that it stops us from thinking, because someone else has already done the thinking for us, it scares the crap out of me. Just like religion, it's neither intrinsicly (sp?) good or bad, it's how you use it.
Quote:

Where do you get the notion that when you're DIR you stop thinking? The entire approach of the GUE teaching methodology is that it uses to great extent the Socratic approach, which is at the very opposite end of you guys's fascist (and I don't mean Nazi, which has very little to do with fascist philosophy, but that's a whole other topic ;D) interpretation of DIR. The ultimate attention to detail is not something that gets beaten into you, it's something you gravitate toward, and something that takes a long time to gestate. What I don't understand is why you would dismiss the knowledge gathered through years of exploratory diving, and you'd prefer to reinvent the wheel all by yourself. Did you ever do the math yourself to verify whether the earth is round, or did you accept that because better and brighter people already did it a long time before you?! Does the acceptance of that fact make you a religious zealot - I don't think so.

Messages In This Thread
Re:dressing for tech diving? (was in What the Heck is DIR?) - by DRE - 04-21-2004, 08:29 AM
Re:dressing for tech diving? (was in What the Heck is DIR?) - by Groovekitty - 04-21-2004, 01:09 PM