Remember me
Lost Password Register

dressing for tech diving? (was in What the Heck is DIR?)
04-21-2004, 09:33 AM,
Re:dressing for tech diving? (was in What the Heck is DIR?)
Can't understand the tone of your post. Most of my post was a positive acknowledgement of what I see DIR brings to diving.

No, I don't regularily question that the earth is round, or that gravity exists, but there are many, many things I do question. I don't put DIR on the same level as any of the immutable laws of physics.

I certainly don't "dismiss the knoweldge gained through years of exploratory diving." I do acknowledge that there was more than one person (or group of persons) participating in exploratory diving, and that the body of diving knowledge continues to grow. Believe it or not, some of the things I've pulled of this website (including DIR concepts) do affect my diving (obviously not my choice of OC vs. CCR). It is a constant learning process.

If DIR leads to a "Socratic" approach to diving, then I applaud it.

The fact of the matter is that in some people it probably does, and in others it doesn't. There are divers that are "fascist" DIR divers. "What's the DIR way to do this or that (not thinking just doing), you're a stroke if you don't dive like me, etc." (there may even be Nazi DIR divers, but I doubt it has anything to do with the fact they are DIR Wink)On the same token there are divers who ignore anything with the DIR label attached to it, just because it has the label. I don't agree with either group. As reasoning human beings, we need to be able to draw our own logical conclusions from varying viewpoints, and if we can't defend our viewpoint, it's probably worth considering a change (whether it's on abortion, gun control, religion, taxes, DIR, CCR's, or any of a variety of topics on which reasonable people tend to disagree).

Just like any other philosophy or tool (religion being an EXAMPLE), it's how you use it that counts.

Messages In This Thread
Re:dressing for tech diving? (was in What the Heck is DIR?) - by ghosch - 04-21-2004, 09:33 AM
Re:dressing for tech diving? (was in What the Heck is DIR?) - by Groovekitty - 04-21-2004, 01:09 PM