Remember me
Lost Password Register

dressing for tech diving? (was in What the Heck is DIR?)
04-21-2004, 10:05 AM,
Re:dressing for tech diving? (was in What the Heck is DIR?)
I still don't see the religous analogy here? If it is, then I would say that it should also apply to all of the Inspiration divers. They way they wax on about those yellow boxes you'd think that they had just bought a miricle in a box. Wink

I'm not attacking CCR divers, I just don't understand why they get a free pass when they do the exact same thing as the DIR divers- speak about the psotives of their type of diving.

I also am not sure that being a CCR diver is not compatible with DIR. Right now DIR divers use certain rebreathers, like the RB 80. They use the RB80 to get the same gas advantage as the CCR divers, but they don't trust the electronics to do the mixing for them. Given time, there may, or will, be a CCR rebreather that they could feel comfortable with. Just because they aren't there right now doesn't mean that they couldn't get to that point some day.

I could see giving an RB80 a whirl, if I had the cash, but since I have had years of experience with electronics failing underwater (such as strobes, cameras, computers, diver location dvices, lights, scooters) I am not willing to trust myself with a CCR just yet. Others have had different experiences with water and electronics and have come up with another view point.

This is fine and is know as the "Field view of education". That means that everyone takes in knowledge through their own field of experinces and applies those values to them. THis would explain why I feel much safer diving DIR, while someone else feels safe enough on a CCR- or diving deep air.

I am not out to set the world on fire with DIR, just elminate the misinformtaion that is out there, like it's a religion, and explain why it works so well for the people I dive with. There are even some local divers who say they are DIR, but don't have the goods to back it up. I think that this does the DIR crowd a huge disservice sine we get lumped in with them.

Jon
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin

Messages In This Thread
Re:dressing for tech diving? (was in What the Heck is DIR?) - by Freedive WI - 04-21-2004, 10:05 AM
Re:dressing for tech diving? (was in What the Heck is DIR?) - by Groovekitty - 04-21-2004, 01:09 PM