Remember me
Lost Password Register

scuba tank weights (add-on)
12-16-2004, 07:28 AM,
scuba tank weights (add-on)
Has anyone tried one of these tank weights?

ebay item #7120283011
In Life, You Either Do or You Don't. I Did! - (Wallace the Pit Bull 4/3/02-8/23/13)
12-16-2004, 04:38 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-16-2004, 04:39 PM by LKunze.)
Re:scuba tank weights (add-on)
Interesting but for those that don't like to use tank boots it wouldn't work. One thing I question is what adding the weight to the bottom of the tank will do to your trim? From my experience it's better to add weight up higher on the tank to maintain a good horizontal trim. I'd think adding weight that low down would make it harder to maintain horizontal trim. I could be wrong though since I rarely dive aluminum tanks.
12-16-2004, 06:49 PM,
I agree. The bottom of the tank is not the best place to add weight, unless of course the intent is to walk around underwater (try it sometime, it's alot of fun - but please do so on a sandy bottom, not the muck we see too often - just add lots of weight, and lose the fins, you can do lots of flips).

If you want to add weight to your tank, I'd recommend adding trim pockets to your cam strap with some hard or soft weights inside. Before getting the trim pockets, I just used another cam band, and added hard weights, though cinching the cam band to the tank was a PITA.

The bad bouyancy characteristics is the reason I really dislike aluminum tanks. For single tank diving, I'd rather dive a steel 72 over an aluminum 80 any day (and those steel 85s, for single tanks, those look perfect, though have never tried one).
12-16-2004, 07:05 PM,
I've got two of them and yes...they are pretty nice for single tank diving. They'd probably make a nice set of doubles too but I'm not getting into the doubles thing anytime soon. BTW, did you sell your PST E8-130 tank Kirk? I saw you posted it for sale quite awhile back.
12-18-2004, 12:22 PM,
Yeah, I sold it. I hated diving an 8 inch tank as a single, and was looking for another one for doubles, but instead bought a pair of older PST 104s. I'm going to be selling a few more tanks soon. I've got 13 tanks, and a very small apartment and an even smaller car. I certainly don't need all those tanks. [/quote]