Remember me
Lost Password Register

condemned tank
06-19-2004, 08:27 AM,
Re:condemned tank
What size are you? I have a great price on the last in stock O'Neill and I am looking at selling my Diving concept 2mm neopreme with dry gloves
06-19-2004, 05:39 PM,
I am 6' and 260# so depending on mfg. XXL thats why I shoud go with DUI so I can be a regesterd D.O.G. (diver of girth) ;D
MNLakeDiver (aka Jim)<br />The water is so cold I can see my breath !
12-07-2004, 02:13 PM,
I am glad that everything worked out well on your cylinder. I don't very often get a chance to look at this site. There are a couple of things I would like to set straight on the this topic. Number one is that if you had a bad neck o ring you would never been able to get your tank full as it would have leaked air long before it would allow water in. Second tumbling a tank is only done to remove anything that might cover up pitting and to prevent loose rust from entering your regulator. Removing enough to remove the pitting defeats the purpose as if the pitting was that deep to condemn the cylinder than it would not pass a hydro anyway.
Number three as far as marking out a cylinder the only one that can do that is a DOT retest facility but they still have to give you the cylinder back. If anyone has a cylinder done other than at a DOT facility take that cylinder and get a second opinion. Cylinders are not built extra thick to take care of any removal of the material from the cylinder. If a cylinder is tumbled it must be hydroed before being filled. I have had steel cylinders that were condemned by a dive center because they were red inside and when they were ckecked, all it was was the liner that the manufacture put in the cylinder.
12-07-2004, 07:32 PM,
Seal, I'll have to disagree with your #3 remark. We as certified tank inspectors can mark out a tank, but we need the permission from the owner to do so and have done it after showing them the problem we even give a read out from the eddy current where it involves threads, but we also have recommended to get a second opinion. Also a cylinder can and has passed hydro but has failed the visual.
12-12-2004, 02:25 PM,
Yes I have condemned very few tanks on a Hydro. I would guess that about 95% fail on a Visual and yes you can mark out the marking on the tank only at the owners request.