Remember me
Lost Password Register

100% DIR
04-21-2004, 11:27 AM,
100% DIR
Hey guys,

Perhaps a outline on what actions, do's and don't are 100% DIR could be listed? I know it would be easier to take the DIR-F class, etc, but I'm beign lazy right now, and I'm sure a few others here could use the insight. Perhaps that could help spark some ideas or dialog but with a better base from which those who are not 100% DIR can understand DIR better?

For exqmple:
As 100% DIR:
- you don't smoke?
- you don't dive unless there's a DIR buddy?
- you don't use air deeper than 100ft?
- what gases do you use for all your depths?
- you don't use a dive computer for any dive profiling?
- what do you use to plan dives, execute them, and why?
- how did those things become DIR accepted?
- you exercise at least 3 times a week?
- you can't be over this (amount) overweight?
- etc
- etc
- etc

We also know you use backplate, wings, long hose, etc.
- perhaps which specific companies and products are 100% DIR for OC use?
-what happens if you own a product not on the list, just retire it, or?

--what happens if you violate any of the above?
--what happens if you see another 100% DIR diver violating any of the above?

Who deteremines is something is 100% DIR or not?

Where did they base the determination from and does that change?

Could you 100% DIR guys come up with a comprehensive compiling of listed behavior, activites, gear, brands, actions, and consequences for the education of those who would like to know more for us here in a few threads?

I'm sure it's all been determined to be a streamlined, reliable, no-stroke, philosophy so that there's less to have to deal with, more responsiveness, and less unexpected when trouble occurs.
Like I said, I know you can point to the books and classes, but maybe just give us a good sense of it to begin with?

04-21-2004, 01:20 PM,
Re:100% DIR
All of these questions are answered in the GUE fundamentals course and in the GUE fundamentals book. If you truly want to get answers to all of these questions, my best recommendation is to take a GUE class.

You can check out their website at:

I can't reiterate this enough, but as you progress as a DIR diver your understanding of the practices, procedures and philosophy of DIR, as taught by GUE, will broaden and the answers to your questions will become crystal clear.

GUE may come and go, but DIR will be here forever.

~Amber*
04-21-2004, 02:01 PM,
So many points that I think they should all be seperate threads- regulators, gasses, buddy diivng, oc, ect.

Here's a link to the local DIR club's standard gas page:

An easier rule of thumb is just using a max PP02 of 1.4 for bottom gasses, on standard length dives- not gonzo 12 hour long cave dives or anything like that. Also, keeping your narcotic depth to 100' or shallower. Deco gases are allowed to go up to 1.6. It is so much easier whne everyone on the boat shows up with the same gas/deco tables that team planning becomes easier and you can accomplish more underwater.

There are many different regs that can be used for DIR diving. THey all just need to be down stream with standard hose fittings, as in no 1/2" ports for LP hoses. They should also have second stages that can be stripped underwater without tools. If you follow this there are regs from any number of companies that will work- Aqualung, Atomic, Beuchat, Cressi sub, Scubapro , Oceanic, Dive Rite, Apeks, Zeagle, ect. They should have enviroemntal kits on them for around here and standard length hoses, plus have the IP's set down a little bit.

The idea is that you can switch out regulator parts with your buddy underwater. If you get to your 70' gas switch and your reg takes a dump it would be nice to pull the Oceanic second stage off of your buddies extra reg and throw it onto your Apeks first stage. This can be done if everything matches up with standard parts and the IP's all match.

Forget the idea of only one company making DIR gear. They make something that no one else does and then everyone copies them a couple of years later.

Dives are planned on a home computer, or palm, and checked against your buddies. After while the profiles become second nature and you start to remember them because the dives,and the gasses, get repeated often enough. Profiles, and back up's, are kept in an underwater notebook in your drysuit pocket and I always carry two sets. Some people carry the extra set on their wrist, which isn't 100% DIR, but it sure is convienent.

Someone else can jump in on other points that I missed.

jon
"Ignorance begets confidence more often than does knowledge." -Charles Darwin
04-22-2004, 07:58 AM,

Jon,

have you forgotten why we don't use wristslates Wink:

by George Irvine:

Because when we have all the lights on our helmets turned on, the glare from the reflection off of the wrist slate makes it hard to read the console on our Buddy Inspirations, and then we get it caught in the props of our Aquazepps and it pulls all five computers off our wrists and our Poseidon regs start to freeflow.

GI3
04-22-2004, 08:10 AM,
[quote='Dirk Diggler link' dateline='1082568451']

For exqmple:
As 100% DIR:
- you don't smoke?
No smoking allowed - the havoc it wreaks on your lungs, plus it diminished your ability to effectively offgas
- you don't dive unless there's a DIR buddy?
correct; it's so much more fun to dive with people who are all on the same page, plus your safety factor increases dramatically
- you don't use air deeper than 100ft?
You only use air to inflate your tires, EAN32 to 100ft, TRI30/30 to 120
- what gases do you use for all your depths?
bottom mix: END<100; max PPO2 1.4 (1.2 for longer or more strenuous dives)
deco mix: END<100; max PPO2 1.6
- you don't use a dive computer for any dive profiling?
No, the best computer is your brain; dive computers never give you acceptable profiles, are expensive, and make ou rely upon them forgetting what to do when they crap out
- what do you use to plan dives, execute them, and why?
You can use D-plan, decoplanner, or any of the VPM based programs; however, KISS: when using EAN32, time + depth equals 120, do slow ascents, stops at 80% of max depth in ATA; use the same principle for TRI30/30 but subtract 20 from your depth as you're uing helium; et voila, the only thing you need is a BT
- how did those things become DIR accepted?
after years of trial and error and applying a healthy dose of common sense
- you exercise at least 3 times a week?
yes, usually even more (split between swimming, running and weightlifting)
- you can't be over this (amount) overweight?
If you're obese you won't offgas effectively, but diving shouldn't be your primary concern anyways; your quality of life and longevity will suffer if your significantly overweight

Hope these answers will help you out somewhat.[/quote]
04-22-2004, 01:47 PM,

There is so much to respond to in this thread, but I would like to address the manufacturer issue. DIR is about function, not equipment brands. Halcyon has developed their equipment line specifically to be at home in a DIR system, however, even they have items that are not 100% DIR.

You can dive DIR without having any Halcyon equipment in your inventory. DIR is about a mindset. It is about a disciplined approach to diving, in your equipment, your skill sets, your team orientation and your fitness.

Lastly, It sounds like we will also be starting up a DIR forum on the Wisconsin Scuba board, so please feel free to stop by and leave questions and comments.
Gert Grohmann
Deep Blue Adventures

gert@dpblue.com