Remember me
Lost Password Register

Poll: How Long Have you Been DIR Certified?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
5 + Years
0%
0 0%
4 Years
0%
0 0%
3 Years
0%
0 0%
2 Years
100.00%
1 100.00%
1 Year
0%
0 0%
6 Months
0%
0 0%
Total 1 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

How Long Have You Been DIR Certified?
04-23-2004, 10:01 AM,
How Long Have You Been DIR Certified?
I don't know how long DIR has been around, but I'm curious as to how many local divers are DIR certified and how long they have been diving.

Thanks. 8)
'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy
04-23-2004, 11:32 AM,
Re:How Long Have You Been DIR Certified?
I've been diving for about 10 years, hogarthian (full cave and adv trimix) for about 5 (moving more and more toward DIR as time passed and I was able to check my ego) and recently took a GUE fundamentals course.

David

PS: I don't think there is such a thing as being DIR certified. Passing a GUE course is no guarantee of being DIR - like Gert mentioned, it's about having the correct mindset and attittude.
04-23-2004, 11:58 AM,
Now I am really confused. I thought passing the DIRF class was the starting point of DIR. In a different thread Groovekitty said that a GUE instructor could revoke your card on the spot.

Is that not the point one "Officially" starts the commitment to abide by the DIR philosophy, hence a certified DIR diver?
04-23-2004, 12:06 PM,
Yes, I too picked up from other threads that one was 'certified'. Well, whatever it is, a 'rating', 'secret society, etc., I think you understand what I'm asking??? I'm more curious about who's DIR & how long they've been diving the DIR 'system.

I'm sure all my questions would be answered if I took the DIR-F course, read the associated manuals, etc., but before I invest any monies and weekends, I thought this would be the way to do some preliminary investigation.

Thanks
'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy
04-23-2004, 12:32 PM,
Allright,

there's no secret handshake, secret society or anything like that. DIR is a set of skills, a mindset and an attittude towards diving, which GUE teaches. Upon passing the class, the GUE instructor deems that you have the necessary skills to pass the GUE requirements. However, this does not mean that you automatically have the correct mindset, which is much harder to guage. For example, you pass the DIRF class, but after that you go back to smoking a pack of cigarettes a day, diving deep on air and breathing showerhead regulators - so you definitely don't have the correct mindset if you were to do so as you just showed the message of the class did not sink in. If a GUE instructor finds you diving like this he has the right to revoke your card as you just showed you don't believe in following DIR protocol and safety regulations.
Also, it is possible to find DIR training outside of GUE, but the problem is that a lot of instructors claim to be DIR to cash in on the current demand for DIR training without knowing the ins and outs of it all. I did a ton of research on the topic, asked George a myriad of questions (which he all answered very promptly), but it was only until I took the DIRF class that all the pieces fell into place and that I realized there was a lot more to it then I ever realized (and that's just at the Fundamentals level).

Does this clarify things?
04-23-2004, 12:38 PM,
Don't forget about the handshake. Wink
"Yah... from Sweeeden."

As was said before, DIR is a mindset and one usually sets forth on a path toward this mindset and philosophy prior to making a commitment to take the DIR-F course. There are certainly many individuals on the forum who have a DIR mindset, have been thinking that way for varying ammounts of time, and can answer questions that you might have in your preliminary investigation. I personally think that $25 for the "Doing It Right: Fundamentals of Better Diving" book is a good (and inexpensive) investment for your investigation. Sometimes it is good to start out slow, getting your feet wet and asking questions to know that it is right for you. Good luck with that.
T
Safety first, ego last, actions speak louder than words or c-cards.
04-23-2004, 12:50 PM,
Thanks DRE for your response

So basicly one could be a DIR diver without ever taking a class, just as long as they dive within the mindset and philosophy DIR
04-23-2004, 12:53 PM,
Thanks everybody for the clarification(s). This Poll must be the worst ever started on MNSCUBA. Like I said before, just curious how large the DIR community is in MN and surrounding areas.

Where can one purchase a copy of the DIR book (other than online)? How much does the DIR-F class cost?

BTW - I was joking about it being a 'secret society'. Smile
04-23-2004, 01:03 PM,
MarkY,

You can only get a copy of the GUE book online - either from GUE.com, otherwise try Amazon.com - you might be able to find it on there.

The cost of the class varies by instructor. Some instructors teach up to 6 students over 2 1/2 days, whereas others only except up to 3 students for a 4 day class.

I would reccomend Cody Gardner for a fundamentals class - he is a great instructor! (All GUE instructors are good this is just my personal preference).

Check out for instructor info and class schedules.
04-23-2004, 01:04 PM,

Yes, if you can find a great mentor to teach you the finer details, which you won't find online or in a book. In actuality, taking the DIRF class is the easiest and most informative route to go, as you can be assured of the quality of the instruction and information you'll get.