Remember me
Lost Password Register

In need of legal help!
04-25-2004, 01:52 PM,
Re:In need of legal help!
But if this ordinance was repealed or changed would it listed in the books yet and where?
04-25-2004, 05:05 PM,
Those are some old ordinances, I also looked for license requirements and fees and found nothing for Diving.
-Matt
04-25-2004, 05:11 PM,
I called the Hennepin County Parks and Recreation office last year questioning the need for a permit. I was told that they did away with the permit requirement. Unless they changed it back this year you got a raw deal man.
04-25-2004, 08:37 PM,

The applicable ordinance is in the municode for the City of Minneapolis under Parks and Recreation board. It is current as of 2 April 2004, and a quick telephone call verified the ordinance is current and enforcable. Lake Calhoun falls under the jurisdiction of the Minneapolis Parks & Recreation Board and thus the Minneapolis Park Police not Hennepin County's Park system. Just to be fair I went to the Minneapolis Parks website and couldn't find anything there about scuba at all. Also checked Minneapolis Park Police site and didn't find anything. However, I think most of us have heard the phrase (way to many times) "ignorance of the law is no excuse". I didn't know a permit was required either until this message thread started. It's unfortunate we all are gaining some knowledge at the misfortune of a fellow diver.
Life without challenges, danger or excitement is a waste of oxygen!
04-25-2004, 09:17 PM,
There are areas of the lake that are posted no swimming. We were not in those areas. That takes care of the forbidden zone stuff. The phone calls are gonna fly mon. morning and if I find out we were screwed over, Maka and I are gonna find out when that guy works and dive every single shift he's on all summer long! ATTICA, ATTICA! I should have some answers tomorrow.
&quot;Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It’s what separates us from the animals…except the weasel. &quot;<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Homer J. Simpson
04-26-2004, 08:56 AM,
[move] :Smile[/move]

I don't know about the rest of you but i rarely check when diving local lakes to see if permit is needed. Is there a good website that specifies which area lakes require permits to dive? So far i have been lucky and have not run into any problems.
&quot;Nothing can resist the human will, that will stake even it's existence on it's stated purpose.&quot;-Benjamin Disraeli
04-26-2004, 09:11 AM,
If it is ascertained that a permit is required, let's march on Mpls. City Hall. The need for a permit is bullsheet. I don't need a permit to use my canoe, swim or walk in the park system. Why SCUBA? Even if the permits are free, what a hassle.

I do live in Mpls. and I will talk to my representative at City Hall.

Good luck on your battle - a keep us posted.
'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy
04-26-2004, 09:28 AM,
If the set of Ordinances are current on the Parks and Rec web page, then

PB4-1. License; registration required. No person shall place, have or use any watercraft for which a license is required under Minnesota Statutes Annotated, Section 361.03 on any lake situated within or partially within the city without registering the state license number with the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board. (Code 1960, As Amend., § 1030.010; Pk. Bd. Ord. No. 81-104A, § 1, 9-2-81)

This would mean that use of a canoe with out registering it with the Parks and Rec Board would be a fineable offense.

Reading some through some of the rules makes you want to vote everybody out of office!!!
04-26-2004, 09:46 AM,
I know that there are alot of divers in MN. I bet if we all signed a petition or something we could get this PROBLEM taken care of. >Sad We shouldn't have to jump through hoops every time we want to go dive a local lake. It seems to me the whole system of permits required for which lakes and certain areas that are off limits is very poorly managed.
&quot;Nothing can resist the human will, that will stake even it's existence on it's stated purpose.&quot;-Benjamin Disraeli
04-26-2004, 09:48 AM,
I can't remember where I heard this but I know that about a year ago someone told me that the permits were no longer needed. It is entirely possible that the information available online is simply outdated. I wouldn't just pay that ticket, although I don't think you intend on doing that. The matter probably needs to be clarified. I think this is important because it is likely to affect other divers this summer. Sorry that you have to be the one to spearhead this effort. Let us know how things turn out and if there is some way we can help.

&quot;Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you help them to become what they are capable of being.&quot; - Johann W. von Goethe