Remember me
Lost Password Register

Mille Lacs Treasure Hunt
04-29-2004, 07:54 AM,
Mille Lacs Treasure Hunt
DIVING ANYBODY?
Hi folks, just an update. I have been having trouble finding a boat to take us on an anchor dive on Mille Lacs. I have talked with Ron about it and have decided to do it on my own.

I have a 20’ Grady White and it will handle 4 divers at a time. Maybe even 6. I wont know that until I get 6 people on it with gear. The weekend I have chosen is Sat. May 8th and Sunday May 9th. I know, I know that is Mothers day weekend. So come on Saturday. This is also the last weekend before opening so we shouldn't be bothered by fishermen. My place is located on the east side of the lake, just north of Isle.

This is what I have planned. Steph and I will take 4-6 divers out to the reefs we choose. Each team would need a dive flag with them. State law. This will also help the boat keep track of buddy teams; just in case one’s navigational skills are rusty. Each dive will be limited to ½ hour. Each trip will have 2 dives. The diving will be shallow so you should be able to get both dives with one tank. After the 1st group is done we will go back to the dock and pick up a 2nd. Group. There will be a cost of $15 per diver per day and yes, a waiver will have to be signed.. Each team should also have a buddy line, making it easier to keep track of each other. Also some sort of marker would be handy in case you find something big. Then we can pick it up after we have recovered all divers. There could be some interesting finds. The bottom of Mille Lacs, especially right after the winter season, is loaded. Ice fishing rule #1 is “if it falls on the floor, it will roll in a ice hole.”

If things are too windy we can load up and head to Crosby. I am 50 minutes from the pits. However I really want this to happen on Mille Lacs. Crosby could be done on Sunday if anybody wants to stay over. There is a motel just 3 miles away at Mcquoid’s inn. As it is before the fishing opener there should be rooms available. They also have a hot tub. So I hope somebody stays there. For those of you with motor home or trailers, camping spots are available. Steph and I will also have some extra room for a couple of bodies. If you have your own boat and want to come along. Feels free. I can point you to the reefs. I just want to have fun. We will have a campfire afterwards. Also Brats, Burgers and beans will be served.

So there it is. I am going to drop a copy of this off at the store later on. However the best way to reserve your spot or have any questions answered is by reaching me directly at wtdrm@direcway.com cell, voice mail attached (612-669-5199) home (763-420-4454. I would like to hear from you if you are planning to come so I can plan for food. However if something changes and you can come but haven’t let me know, come up anyway. The more the merrier. I will prepare a map and drop it at the store. Going Under Dive Center Smile
Chuck Johnson
04-29-2004, 08:03 AM,
Re:Mille Lacs Treasure Hunt
This sounds like a lot of fun. I will check with my dive buddy and see if he is interested in going.
04-30-2004, 09:25 AM,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CHUCK! ;D

I'd love to join you for the anchor dive, I've always wanted to dive Mille Lacs, but got family stuff planned for the weekend. If you do it again, post it.
'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy
04-30-2004, 11:28 AM,
I 've dove an anchor dive on mille lacs before. We dove off of agate reef and i think the other reef was called selmar reef. Lots of things to find that people lose from boats. We launched out of fishers resort. and another thing. i saw literally thousands of crayfish on both dives on both reefs.
"Nothing can resist the human will, that will stake even it's existence on it's stated purpose."-Benjamin Disraeli
05-10-2004, 04:31 PM,
Find any treasures? How many anchors? ;D
'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy