Remember me
Lost Password Register

NAUI or PADI?
05-03-2004, 06:20 AM,
NAUI or PADI?
Hello newbie here. I have been snorkeling for 20 years and recently decided to go ahead and get certification for scuba. I am a good swimmer and will probably dive in warm water for about 2 weeks/year. I love underwater photography and probably won't be diving more than 20 to 30 feet down. What a luxury to be able to compose a picture!

I have been looking at the training available locally and I don't know what to choose, NAUI or PADI. What's the difference or why did you choose one over the other? I know this has probably been discussed before; I promise I looked for a FAQ and through 9 pages of posts before I sent this in! Since I plan to NEVER(sorry I hate the cold) dive here would it be better to get my certification at a warm water location? Thanks!
05-03-2004, 06:56 AM,
Re:NAUI or PADI?
Look at the store you are going to go with I am a PADI IDC Staff, but I think all agencys have something to offer and it is what is convient for you. You'll here that one is better than another but I look at it just like the toys men and women have I have a Yamaha so that is better then a Ski Doo. A good instructor will make the difference no matter which agency you choose. I went the PADI route because that was the only angency in the area close to me. As far as warm water cert. or cold water cert. what can your pocket book afford? Living here and doing your cert here you don't have to pay for lodging, meals etc. My personal view getting certified here improves a lot on your skills. I think once you get wet and see how warm you'll be with the wet suits on you probably like to check out diving some great places close to home. It's your choice.
05-03-2004, 07:25 AM,
I would start with your location and check the local dive shops forms to read about peoples experances at different shopes in your area. then go to the shops you like and talk to the instructers(sp) you may find you click with one. the most important things are finding somone knolagable and somone you are comfortable with. Rember your training comes from a person not a card.
MNLakeDiver (aka Jim)<br />The water is so cold I can see my breath !
05-03-2004, 07:26 AM,
sorry the spelling on the last post brought to you by huked on fonkis ;D
MNLakeDiver (aka Jim)<br />The water is so cold I can see my breath !
05-03-2004, 07:35 AM,
Personally i like NAUI better than PADI because i feel the training regimen is a little more strict and it makes you a better diver. But like any training, the instructor makes all the difference so pick one your comfortable with and ask lots of questions. Also make sure that you practice,practice,practice because there is not alot of room for error in the ocean. A good instructor will offer you as much time as you need to be comfortable with the skill and most dive shops will offer extra pool time to practice till you feel totally confident in your abilities. MN diving is a different type of diving but should you decide to pursue it you will love it. We have alot of diving that can be found no where else in the world. In Lake Superior we have THE BEST shipwreck diving in the world. the wrecks stay preserved because of the cold water. There are also alot of cool quarries mine pits to dive with underwater forests. But should warm water be your thing i encourage you to dive often. Because the old addage is true. If you don't use it, you lose it......... 8)
&quot;Nothing can resist the human will, that will stake even it's existence on it's stated purpose.&quot;-Benjamin Disraeli
05-03-2004, 08:29 AM,
Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it!
05-03-2004, 09:22 AM,
look into referal courses.. where you take your land and pool sessions here and open waters where ever.. a bit more money. Please don't rule out diving here.. there's some great water.. and even at warm water destinations you'll find a wetsuit might be comfortable even necessary, so why not make use of one here in local ponds? and as stated before, diving here makes you a much better diver for when you go to warmer destinations.
Question - if you're only going to 20 - 30 feet, why not check into some freediving? It's not always necessary to don the scuba equipment.
Cold and dark down there huh?
05-03-2004, 11:03 AM,
I think the smartest thing to do is look at quality/experience of the instructor rather than the organization. My NAUI instructor was amazing, and I credit my knowledge base and skills not to a particular organization, but to his wonderful instruction.
Enthusiasm is contagious. Start an epidemic.
05-03-2004, 11:29 AM,
I'd echo what everyone else said pretty much. I've trained through NAUI, PADI and TDI and had no problems with any of them as the instructors were all good.
05-03-2004, 12:58 PM,

I echo what LKunze has said. I have taken courses from both orgs , and it is the instructor that REALLY makes the difference! I was impressed by the shop and the staff/instructors that I started with , not because of the program they ran. And I have stayed with that shop all thru-out my training btw. It's the people that make the difference , IMHO!!! I like MNLakeDiver's comment...Its the instructor that teaches the course , not the card!!! ;D

Jean Big Grin
How's my diving? Call 1-800-EAT-FISH