Remember me
Lost Password Register

Aircraft Carrier to become Artificial Reef
05-03-2004, 09:16 AM,
Aircraft Carrier to become Artificial Reef
I clipped this from WISCUBA.COM (as posted by Cavern Junkie). Looks promising!

Retired aircraft carrier to be sunk off Pensacola coast

The Associated Press
Posted April 5 2004, 4:14 PM EDT

PENSACOLA -- The retired aircraft carrier USS Oriskany, a combat veteran of the Korean and Vietnam wars, will be sunk in the Gulf of Mexico off Pensacola's coast to serve as an artificial reef, the Navy announced Monday.

Pensacola, known as the "Cradle of Naval Aviation," was selected from among four sites proposed by five states as the watery grave of what will be the largest vessel deliberately sunk for that purpose in the United States.

"This is a quantum leap in terms of fishing and diving and economic opportunities for Northwest Florida,'' said Escambia County marine resources director Bob Turpin. The 888-foot Oriskany is the first vessel in a new program designed to rid the Navy of obsolete warships by sinking them as a cheaper alternative to the scrap yard. Escambia, in the Florida Panhandle, last year won an endorsement from the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission in competition with a South Florida group.

South Carolina and Georgia proposed a joint site in the Atlantic Ocean off their shared border, while Texas and Mississippi submitted individual applications.

Here is another article

'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy
05-05-2006, 06:21 PM,
Re: Aircraft Carrier to become Artificial Reef
Here is the latest information on one of the largest ships to be sunk as an artificial reef. 

ORISKANY Frequently Asked Questions

Q. When will the ex-ORISKANY be sunk?

A. The Navy has established the notional sink date as May 17, 2006, subject to weather conditions.

Q. Where will the ex-ORISKANY be sunk?

A. Approximately 24 miles off the coast of Pensacola. The site is part of the permitted Escambia East Large Area Artificial Reef site, which is 77 square miles. The proposed location is
30* 02' 38" N Lat
87* 00' 25" W Lon

Q. How deep is the water where the ship will be sunk?

A. Ex-ORISKANY will be sunk at a depth of 212 feet, at mean low water. This will provide a 61 foot navigational clearance at mean low water above the ship if the ship settles on its keel. A 55-foot minimum navigational clearance at mean low water is required by the Army Corps of Engineers permit.
05-17-2006, 08:11 PM,
I watched the news today about the sinking of the Oriskany...Senator John McCain was a pilot who flew from that ship before his plane was shot down.  I guess it gives me a new respect for him to have survived for five years as a P.O.W. in VietNam before being released.

Add the artificial reef USS Oriskany to my "things to do and see in Florida" list!
My name is Lisa and I'm a SCUBAholic. It's been toooo long since my last dive!
05-18-2006, 06:54 PM,
dairy queen.      I really don't like to talk politics on an open forum like this..........BUUUUTTTTTTT.....    when you talk about John McCain.....  I feel compelled to mention to you that many of the other POW's that were in the Hanoi Hilton at the time, all felt that he was given special previledges at times, ate better then they did, and for some reason, the last couple of years there he definetly had it much better then the rest of the pow's

justs make a guy who is a history buff go  hummmmm... 
I hope he doesn't run for President, thats when it will get dirty.

MY THOUGHTS ABOUT THE AIRCRAFT carrier,  I wished that they could have found a home for it where recreational divers could get to it.  I realize that its a big ship, and the risk of them sinkinging in and not sitting perfectly on the bottom would possibly expose it to close to the surface,    weather conditions etc.  but,  to me.....  I think the DIVE INDUSTRY  should have lobbied for a closer to surface positioning.  It could have been a win fall for the dive shops in us. etc.

anyway...    Have a nice day....

Maxfactor
05-18-2006, 08:11 PM,
Well, it's in Florida...If Hurricane Dennis and the Speigle Grove mean anything...Where they "Put" it, and where it "Ends Up" may not always be the same thing!  But honestly, did they put it there for the divers or for the fish?  It was sunk to be an artificial reef...to harbor aquatic life.  If divers can get technical and go see it, so much the better.  We should wait and see what Jean thinks about this discussion!  After all, she is a little closer to that neighborhood than we are!
05-18-2006, 08:58 PM,

From other discussions I've read, with the size of the ship, the top of the "Island" at the side of the flight deck should be sitting at about 60 ft, with the flight deck between 120'-130' with the hanger deck around 150'.  They really couldn't have put it much shallower without making it a navigation hazard.

The only way to put the flight deck and hangers in "recreational limits" would be to have removed the island.

Jeff
Jeff
05-19-2006, 04:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-19-2006, 07:57 AM by LKunze.)
I got a chance to see a few underwater pictures from divers on it yesterday.  Looks really cool.  The wreck is sitting pretty much even keel and the top of the island sits at 71 feet and the flight deck is at 137 feet.  Pics are posted at scubaboard and decostop.
05-19-2006, 09:38 PM,
Here is a link to some nice photos of the Oriskany.
05-19-2006, 09:40 PM,
Thanks for the pictures!  Glad to hear she settled well!
05-20-2006, 07:28 AM,
thak goodness for week long time shares....i dont think it will take long for me to make plans with a couple friends to make a visit..the pictures are great and only make me salivate...
Oops Did I really say that?????