Remember me
Lost Password Register

Electrically Heated Vests
08-17-2004, 05:16 PM,
Re:Electrically Heated Vests
What exact equipment did you buy? Can you give me an idea of the price range for this type of system? I'm planning to get some thicker undies -- like dui c4. But if its only a couple hundred bucks more I might consider a heater.

--Jason
08-18-2004, 07:49 AM,
Here's a link:

Except I bought the NIMH battery pack as it is rated to a lower depth than the lead acid 500' versus 150' I think, though I know people who have dove the lead acid to 230'.

Got two 25w heater pads, which are plenty (might consider a 35 for the back pad).

I guess the only draw back as opposed to passive heating systems is that undergarments can't fail (and they are a bit more pricey)! My theory is that I use the heater right when I get to the bottom, that way if it is not working, I can end the dive early if I feel I will have to.

Bought mine through GUDC, they have some product literature there, and Ron, the owner, also uses one.

Installation was a breeze. I got the double output canister because Patco also sells HID light heads and other accessories you can use, also though that that way I could plug into a buddies canister, and vice-versa if needed.

I'm guessing its more that a couple hundred bucks more than the C4 undergarments, though the lead-acid option is much less expensive.
08-18-2004, 10:14 AM,
How much does the battery pack weigh? How did you mount the canister and route the power cable?
--Jason
08-18-2004, 10:18 AM,
I purchased the same system as GHOSCH. All I can say is . . . TOASTY! ;D

The cost: only 13 scuba units :o But after a 100 min. dive in Wazee, my fingers & toes where warm!

Next purchase??? The iRiver submersible MP3 player! Wink

'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy
08-18-2004, 10:27 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-18-2004, 10:28 AM by Mark Y.)
Battery pack:

9 Ahr. w/ 1.5 hr. burn time (@ 50W), 5.0 lbs. dry (-2.5 lbs. buoyancy)

13.5 Ahr. w/ 2.75 hr. burn time, 7.5 lbs. (-3.5 lbs. bouyancy)

18 Ahr. w/3.5 hr. burn time, 9.5 lbs. (-4.0 lbs. bouyancy)

27 Ahr. w/ 5.0 hr. burn time, 14.0 lbs. (-7.0 lbs. bouyancy)

40.5 Ahr. w/ 8.0 hr. burn time, 21.0 lbs. (-10.5 lbs. bouyancy)

Mine you, the 40.5 battery dimensions are 3.75" OD x 24". The one I have, the 13.5 Ahr., is 3.75 OD x 11". I mount it, along w/ my HID canister on my left side, between the BC bladder & drysuit. Still working on power cable routing - it's quite long.

One of the system's perks is the fact you can turn in on/off through out the dive, so you don't get over heated!

Also, check your email, as I've sent you the 2004 Patco price list.

'C'mon, c'mon! What're you waiting for? Daddy needs his medicine...' ~ Capt. Murphy