Remember me
Lost Password Register

another newbie
05-28-2002, 11:07 AM,
another newbie
Hi! I'm new to this site. I just got my OW last weekend in Crystal River, FL. I'm not familiar with any dive sites in Minnesota. Can anybody give me pointers or let me know of dive trips I can participate in? I also need info on equipment, i.e., best buys, type, brand, etc. Thank you.
Hazel
05-28-2002, 11:21 AM,
Re: another newbie
Welcome to the group!  Check in on the "Diving Get Togethers"<br>section for dives.  We just had one last Saturday at Square Lake and have another one set up for June 8 up at the Crosby mines.  Smile
05-28-2002, 11:26 AM,
Hello hfrancois glad to have you here. Look in the upcoming dive trips planned. We plan on going to the Crosby mine pits the weekend of June 8th. Join us if you can. Also look at the buddy list in the dive section and e-mail one of them to go diving. Roam the board and you will find many messages about places to dive, people who want to dive, and group outings.<br><br>Browse some of the web sites listed on this board. You can sometimes find equipment reviews. Ask questions.  Specific questions are best since there is so much equipment, so many variables, and so many personal preferences. What kind of equipment did you use for the certification?
Leon
05-28-2002, 11:28 AM,
Re: Gear
As far as equipment goes, you can check out the Local Dive Shop section... The best thing to do is to try gear on and get a good feel for it, then go online and do some research/ask questions/etc. Here are some valuable resources for this:<br><br>ScubaBoard<br>www.scubaboard.com<br><br>Rodale's<br>http://scubadiving.com/gear/<br><br>And of course right here!<br><br>Some of the best (clearest) diving spots in Minnesota are:<br>Crosby  Mines, Square Lake (Stillwater) Lake Superior (Up Nort'), and probably some others I forgot about and hopefully other members will mention.
05-29-2002, 11:07 AM,
Quote:Hello hfrancois glad to have you here. Look in the upcoming dive trips planned. We plan on going to the Crosby mine pits the weekend of June 8th. Join us if you can. Also look at the buddy list in the dive section and e-mail one of them to go diving. Roam the board and you will find many messages about places to dive, people who want to dive, and group outings.<br><br>Browse some of the web sites listed on this board. You can sometimes find equipment reviews. Ask questions.  Specific questions are best since there is so much equipment, so many variables, and so many personal preferences. What kind of equipment did you use for the certification?
<br><br>I have no idea!  8)
Hazel
05-29-2002, 11:27 AM,
Quote:<br><br>I have no idea!  8)
<br><br>Well give it some time and words like "Wings" and "Backplates", DIR will become second nature to you.
Leon
05-29-2002, 03:15 PM,
Re: Gear
Quote:As far as equipment goes, you can check out the Local Dive Shop section... The best thing to do is to try gear on and get a good feel for it, then go online and do some research/ask questions/etc. Here are some valuable resources for this:<br><br>ScubaBoard<br>www.scubaboard.com<br><br>Rodale's<br>http://scubadiving.com/gear/<br><br>And of course right here!<br><br>Some of the best (clearest) diving spots in Minnesota are:<br>Crosby  Mines, Square Lake (Stillwater) Lake Superior (Up Nort'), and probably some others I forgot about and hopefully other members will mention.
<br>What gear should I buy first? I can't afford to buy everything at once so I'll have to prioritize. Thanks<br>
Hazel
05-29-2002, 03:23 PM,
<br>Well, I assume you already have mask, fins, snorkel.<br><br>Next, I would get exposure suit/hood/gloves, regs, bc, and tanks -- in that order.<br><br>I think there are some shops that will let you rent a package of gear for the entire summer.  That might make sense depending on how much you dive.<br><br>You can probably find much of this gear used at shops, classifieds, or ebay.  Buying used gear is a good way to save money.  Make sure you have it checked out by a shop before you use it the first time.
--Jason
05-30-2002, 04:10 AM,
Yes I know Smith diving does a season rental with the option to buy at year end. I got my regulator for practicaly nothing (Sherwood Blizzard) did the annual on it and it works great. Renting for a little while will let you get familiar with equipment before you buy. Also if your dive shop is one you can work with even with used equipment, keep them. If not go to another shop. A number are listed on this site.
Leon
06-10-2002, 01:30 PM,
Don't laugh, but I finally got my mask, fins, and snorkel this weekend. I was renting everything!<br><br>On another topic, I had no idea that the wetsuit used for diving in Minnesota is so darn thick and so hard to put on. Two guys at the dive shop had to pull the suit up for me. Do you have this problem or is it just me? Just asking... ;D
Hazel