Remember me
Lost Password Register

another newbie
06-10-2002, 04:20 PM,
Re: another newbie
Quote:On another topic, I had no idea that the wetsuit used for diving in Minnesota is so darn thick and so hard to put on. Two guys at the dive shop had to pull the suit up for me. Do you have this problem or is it just me? Just asking... ;D
<br>That's normal unless you get a suit with the slick lining.  A couple other things you can try to make it easier is to wear a dive skin, spandex, or nylons underneath the suit.  
06-10-2002, 04:38 PM,
Hfrancois, my wife read an article by Dave Barry (I wish that I could find it), that putting on a wetsuit is like trying to stuff sausage into it's case. So there are many that feel your pain. I have found this to be more than true, especially each year it seems to be harder instead of easier. It must be those people at Henderson use neoprine that shrinks, at least that's the story I'm using. :o  <br><br>Congrats on your gear purchases. I have found that having your own gear makes diving much more enjoyable. When you rent, it seems like you spend alot of time trying to get your gear adjusted just right, and by the time you get it "tuned in" your done diving and back it goes, to be repeated all over again the next time. A word of warning though, I have found that scuba gear buying is highly addictive, and like any junky, the more you have, the more you need. You start off with a mask and snorkell, and the next thing you know, your trying to score a set of doubles and a week on a live aboard. There seems to be no 12 step program and certainly no cure, so good luck and good diving, and remember, the most important piece of gear is usually a VISA card. <br>
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

Tom
06-11-2002, 10:06 AM,
Quote:<br>A word of warning though, I have found that scuba gear buying is highly addictive, and like any junky, the more you have, the more you need. You start off with a mask and snorkell, and the next thing you know, your trying to score a set of doubles and a week on a live aboard. There seems to be no 12 step program and certainly no cure, so good luck and good diving, and remember, the most important piece of gear is usually a VISA card. <br>
<br>My visa card has already been quarantined by my husband.  Wink
Hazel
06-13-2002, 02:30 PM,
ok, on a more serious note, i am researching exposure suits for diving in the midwest and i was wondering if anybody can give me any tips like whether i should get a semi-dry wet suit, a 7mm, or is a 5mm enough; should i get the jumpsuit or a two-piece, etc.. any help is appreciated. thanks.
Hazel
06-13-2002, 06:37 PM,
<br>I think a 7mm suit is a requirement -- plus 5mm gloves + hood.  I went from a 7mm suit to a semi-dry (mares isotherm). <br><br>A dry suit would be a good purchase as well.
--Jason
06-14-2002, 05:13 AM,
Quote:<br>I think a 7mm suit is a requirement -- plus 5mm gloves + hood.  I went from a 7mm suit to a semi-dry (mares isotherm). <br><br>A dry suit would be a good purchase as well.
<br><br>Don't you require different training for dry-suit diving?
Hazel
06-14-2002, 08:32 AM,
Quote:<br><br>Don't you require different training for dry-suit diving?
<br>Yes, there is a dry suit specialty class.  I believe it is only a one day course if I am not mistaken.  
06-17-2002, 07:26 AM,
I just took the drysuit class last week, from PADI. It can be done in 1 or 2 days. It has 1 confined water (pool) and 2 open water dives. If you are going to dive dry, it is a good idea to take the class. However, I think Jason's suggestion of a 7mm 2 pc with hood and gloves is a good way to start out. I have used this myself for quite awhile, and gotten alot of good out of it. I've used it in 42 degree water and been fine, although I was only down for 28 minutes. And it will cost about 1/4 of even an entry level drysuit. I only have the 2 open water dives in a drysuit, so my experience is limited, but I like a wetsuit better than a dry. Maybe if I had more dives in and got used to the drysuit, I would change my mind. But for the cost, ease of use, maintence and once again did I mention cost, it's hard to beat a 2 pc 7mm suit.
Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused.

Tom
06-17-2002, 11:20 AM,
You should get wet when you scuba dive  ;D<br><br>If I ever go dry one of the things I want to get out of it (in addition to being warmer) is something easier to get into and out of than a wet suit. To get that you are not talking an entry level suit. Most of the reviews I have seen show that the cheaper suits are about as difficult to get into as a wet suit.
Leon
06-17-2002, 11:36 AM,
I went to Perch Lake last weekend with a 7mm jumpsuit, a hood, and gloves, and I was toasty warm. But then I only went down the first thermocline. I think I'm going to stick to a wetsuit for now and try the drysuit later.<br><br>Another stupid question  ??? - during shore entry, what gear do you put on first? I did the weightbelt, then BC + regulator/tank, but then I had a very difficult time putting on my fins. I couldn't reach my feet  Undecided. I've always done a boat entry in warm climates so all this Midwest diving is so new to me. Thanks for all your help!  
Hazel